Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Format C without CD.  (Read 697 times)

Offline Stinger

• New Registration
Format C without CD.
« on: September 07, 2005, 12:41 »
Hello!

Since I'm a noob with computers, I turn towards you guys for some help, hehe.

Here's my problem. (Well, problem, an issue I have to deal with).

Currently I have running Windows XP Pro on my PC. It worked fine (still does) but after a year I think it's time to do a format C to remove the junk that has been gathering on my system... Some things really don't run anymore like they used to and the basic cleansing up of the system doesn't help anymore either.

So I was like: well hey, I do a format C. Now here's the problem. A few weeks ago we had some burglars in our house and they took my CD collection with them, indeed, including my Windows XP Pro CD. So I can't format my hard drive with the CD. I tried my sisters home edition CD, but that's not working either.

So here are my two questions:
1: Can I do a format C without the Windows XP Pro CD?
2: Before I start format C my PC, is it legal to install the Windows XP Home Edition of my sister on my PC as well?

Thanks!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Format C without CD.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 13:11 »
Hi Stinger and :welcome:

Is your sisters XP Home a full version or a restore one ?
If its only a restore one then you cant use it to install on a hard drive that doesnt have the "hidden" partition that has the missing files preinstalled, the restore cd works in conjuction with the files on that partition.

You cant legally use your sisters XP on yours but as long as its a few months since it was last installed on your sisters then I think you will be able to register it as its quite conceivable that you would have to reinstall for one reason or another after a few months.

Whichever way you do it then you need a full version of either XP Pro or Home.
Were you trying to format from inside windows or by booting up from the CD ?

You cant format your OS partition/drive from inside windows it has to be done from a bootable cd or by using an old 98 boot disk on a floppy and formatting from that.

Hope this is of some help

Offline Stinger

• New Registration
Format C without CD.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 13:43 »
Heya!

Thanks a lot for the reply!

I guess I'm kinda screwed then (excuse my french)... Cause my sister only has the restore CD of XP Home that got delivered with her PC... I doubt it's a full version...

I guess my only options now are:
A: Just leave it as it is, lol. I mean it's not that my PC is crashing or anything, he's just a bit slow and you start to notice he has been going on for a few months without proper cleansing (and I know, that's totally my own damned fault :P)
B: Try to find someone who has the full Windows XP Pro CD and Format C from that CD.

Is it correct that these are my only options?

Greetings!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Format C without CD.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 14:13 »
Re A:

You could run various registry cleaners then defrag your drive.
That may improve its performance.

Re B:

If you had a genuine version of XP Pro then it may be worth dropping Microsoft an email and explaining that you had your copy stolen and they may be able to replace it for you, its worth a try even if nothing comes from it.
The money you pay for XP is for the licence and not really for the program as far as I understand it, so it wouldnt be fair to have to buy the licence twice.

Unfortunately this world isnt always as fair as it should be  :(

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum