Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: advice regarding the recommended config.  (Read 713 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
advice regarding the recommended config.
« on: September 12, 2005, 22:40 »
can u give me an advice regarding the recommended config.  

hi.
   i need a little help in getting information about the better ways of improving my computer performance. it has an amd athlon64 2800+ processor, a asus motherboard, 256 mb simmtronics ddr ram.  i feel that the system is not as fast as i expect it to be. how can i improve my system performance? i mean options like - increase ram
- add a new equipment
or a new tool to manage the existing page file in the ram.
i use xp sp2.  i tried to search net but it seemed to be a futile effort.
i will be glad if u helped me out. thanx n bye.

voodootjs.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 00:52 »
Hi Voodootjs and :welcome:

256mb of ram is the absolute minimum to use with XP really.
I think that you would notice a big improvement by increasing it to at least 512 mb by adding another stick of 256 or maybe even adding one of 512 mb, especially if you have onboard graphics as that uses part of your total ram.
With sufficient ram then an XP 2800+ cpu should do almost anything you need quite well :)

Offline voodootjs

thanx sandra
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 13:05 »
hey sandra,

thanx woman. i expected it to be the best alternative but i wondered if it would be of a good help or not. earlier i am used to working on a intel P4 3.0 ghz n 256mb ddr. it used to boot in 10 secs n could render a huge 3dmax file very quick. n now this new system with its slow pacedness is making me lose the nerve. anyways thanx. i will do that. n how good r the chances for my system to get worse in situations as:
 a. being used for 200 hrs minimum in 240 hrs.
 b. i right now do not have a UPS( a power back up). could it crash my disks or motherboard if a power failure occurs?

hope i would find the answer for these too.

voodootjs

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 13:30 »
Extended use of a pc shouldnt really slow it down unless you use a lot of different programs.
Each time you run a program and then close it you may find that it doesnt release all the memory thats been allocated to run that program. So if you open and then close down a lot of different programs you may find that your pc slows down. A reboot will release all the memory and start off again with the maximum available.

A power failure will definately crash your pc, whether it does any harm or not is hard to say. You would lose any unsaved data that you were working with at the time of the failure.
The actual physical damage to any components would be more likely to occur when the power was resumed and you may get a surge or a spike if your bios was set to resume after power failure.
Its always a good idea to have your pc plugged into a surge protector extension.

I hope this is helpful to you  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum