Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: PC Crashes.  (Read 4196 times)

Offline welshy.

PC Crashes.
« on: September 10, 2005, 20:23 »
I won't go in too detail yet, but my PC seems too crash two ways, #1 it just freezes up and makes a long continuous screeching kind of beep and #2 BOSD saying that, i have to use the debugger to get to the information and the BOSD is just blue, no info on it, the debug info consists mainly of errors with ati3duag and ***** Kernel symbols are WRONG. Please fix symbols to do analysis.

This is just brief info atm, if you need any just ask :p because atm im clueless too whats wrong lol..

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
PC Crashes.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 22:01 »
Hi Welshy, and  :welcome:

Someone more technical will be along to help you soon, but in the meantime, can you tell us if your PC usually starts up normally, and how long roughly is it before it starts playing up?  Can you think of anything which might be triggering the crashes?  Maybe when you play a particular game, or run a particular program, for example?  Also, have you looked inside your PC at all?  You might want to check that the fans are working OK, including the heatsink / fan on the processor, and check that the memory sticks are seated correctly.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
PC Crashes.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 23:30 »
The one long continous beep is usually a memory problem.
Have you run a memtester on it ?
Have you got more than 1 stick of ram ?
If so try removing one and see if it runs ok, if it does the same again remove that one and replace the first one that you removed to see if one is faulty.

Which OS are you running ?

Offline welshy.

PC Crashes.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 16:15 »
Quote from: "Simon"
Hi Welshy, and  :welcome:

Someone more technical will be along to help you soon, but in the meantime, can you tell us if your PC usually starts up normally, and how long roughly is it before it starts playing up?  Can you think of anything which might be triggering the crashes?  Maybe when you play a particular game, or run a particular program, for example?  Also, have you looked inside your PC at all?  You might want to check that the fans are working OK, including the heatsink / fan on the processor, and check that the memory sticks are seated correctly.

The pc boots up fine, and the crashes are completely random too that, yes i've checked inside the PC and all seems fine. The fans are fine, i've recently changed the HS and Fan, too try and make the PC run cooler, and the ram is also seated fine.

Quote from: "Sandra"
The one long continous beep is usually a memory problem.
Have you run a memtester on it ?
Have you got more than 1 stick of ram ?
If so try removing one and see if it runs ok, if it does the same again remove that one and replace the first one that you removed to see if one is faulty.

Which OS are you running ?

Yup it runs memtest non stop with no errors, I have two sticks and i'm running windows XP. The crash I ge ain't on boot up, it will just freeze whilst in windows and make that lng annoying beep.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
PC Crashes.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 17:01 »
Has this only started since you changed the heatsink & fan?  I don't think it's 'usual' for the long beep to occur, but I just wonder if it's something to do with overheating?  Did you use thermal paste?  Could you have used too much / not enough, or could it not be making proper contact somehow?  Sorry for all the questions, but it does sound like a hardware problem, and as you have just changed some hardware, it makes sense to look there first.  Maybe just refitting the heatsink & fan might do the trick?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline welshy.

PC Crashes.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 17:55 »
I fitted a new HS and Fan, with new paste, due to this problem.. I first thought it was also overheating, atm even my side casing is off.

Offline welshy.

PC Crashes.
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 17:58 »
Also the beep comes from my speakers, not the PC.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
PC Crashes.
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 18:38 »
Oh right!  That might throw a different light on things.  Have you tried taking out the soundcard, to see what happens?  If it's integrated into the motherboard, I'm guessing you might be able to disable it (temporarily) in BIOS.  It's just a question of elimination, really.

Offline welshy.

PC Crashes.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 18:41 »
Quote from: "Simon"
Oh right!  That might throw a different light on things.  Have you tried taking out the soundcard, to see what happens?  If it's integrated into the motherboard, I'm guessing you might be able to disable it (temporarily) in BIOS.  It's just a question of elimination, really.

My broads nForce 2, and the integrated card is disabled, I'm currently using audigy 2.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: PC Crashes.
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 19:22 »
Quote from: "welshy."
the debug info consists mainly of errors with ati3duag and ***** Kernel symbols are WRONG

Are you saying that the info is wrong or that the info says that the ati3duag part is wrong ?

Thats a .DLL file for an ATI graphics card.

You could try reinstalling or updating your gfx drivers or replace the ati3duag.dll with this one from here :

http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/A/ati3duag.dll/6.14.10.0231/download.html

Maybe its missing or has been corrupted somehow ?

Offline welshy.

PC Crashes.
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 19:26 »
What I posted was some brief information from a Debug, after the crash.

***** Kernel symbols are WRONG. Please fix symbols to do analysis.

Unable to load image ati3duag.dll, Win32 error 2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ati3duag.dll
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ati3duag.dll
Probably caused by : ati3duag.dll ( ati3duag+938d6 )

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
PC Crashes.
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005, 19:29 »
Ok, I would download that DLL and replace your current one then and see how that goes  :)

Offline welshy.

PC Crashes.
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2005, 19:44 »
That dll is "Version: 6.14.10.0231" any idea if if its compatible with all the ati driver sets? because the ones I'm trying at the moment ain't up to date.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
PC Crashes.
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 19:46 »
No idea sorry  :(

Copy and save the original in case its worse with the one I gave you a link to.

Have you tried getting the latest drivers from the ATI site ?

Offline welshy.

PC Crashes.
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 19:46 »
Also is there any diagnostic tools out there apart from memory tests I can run?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum