Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Comp won't boot up...  (Read 753 times)

Offline hardhit

Comp won't boot up...
« on: September 26, 2005, 19:07 »
I have had this ongoing problem with my desktop. i try to boot it up and it does not get through loading windows.

i press the button to start the computer and there is a continuous clicking that starts followed by 1 short beep and 1 longer beep, then i see a message appear that says KB/interface error...then runs through what seems to be the normal DOS start and the clicking stops and then you hit the windows page where you can see the loading bar and it only gets halfway through. I have the microsoft windows 2000 disk and i have popped that in at certain times, and it has allowed the computer to boot up correctly but the last few days it has not worked. i have tried to replace the keyboard cause i thought i had a faulty KB but it still did not boot up correctly. any guidance or help would be much appreciated.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Comp won't boot up...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 00:52 »
H Hardhit and :welcome:

Have you tried going into the bios and changing the Halt On part to halt on no errors ?
That may allow it to run past the error its detecting on your keyboard, whether it would still boot into windows successfully and allow your keyboard to work is unknown until you try it though  :(

Do you know the type of bios on your pc as different types of bios have different beep codes for different faults ?

Offline hardhit

Comp won't boot up...
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 16:39 »
hey sandra....i am not familiar with the bios nor do i know the type of bios on my computer. how do i access them?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Comp won't boot up...
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 00:26 »
Ok, to access the bios you usually repeatedly hit the DEL button as soon as it makes the first beep as you start or restart your pc.
Some pcs use F1 or F2 instead but it should say on the screen as its starting up which key you need to press to select Setup.

This will open the bios setup, be careful what you alter, if anything, as it can mess your pc up. If you do alter anything write down what it was and what you changed it to so that you can change it back if necessary.
At the top of the screen it should say which bios it is, usually Ami, Award or Phoenix.

The part that I want you to check and possibly change is on the first screen or if that screen has a menu, as is common on AMI bios, then select the CMOS setup one, usually the first option on the top of the left column.
Near the botom of that page it should have a section that says Halt On and then a box where you can select the various options, usually done by using the page up or page down keys, it should say at the bottom of the screen which keys do what.
It usually defaults to Halt On All Errors. Most people have it set to Halt On All But Keyboard Errors but for now I would like you to change it to show Halt On No Errors.
Once you have changed it usually you hit F10 on the keyboard to save changes and exit the bios, it wil ask if you want to save changes, type Y (for YES) and press the enter key and it will close down and restart the pc as normal.

Hopeully that should bypass whatever the keyboard error is thats stopping it loading fully although you may find that the keyboard doesnt work once you get the desktop up.
At least that way we can find out whether it actually is a keyboard related problem or something else that we need to look into   :)

Offline hardhit

Comp won't boot up...
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 19:58 »
i will try that but i have switched keyboards with one of my buddy's and that didn't even work. maybe this will do the trick though...i will let you know either way...thanks for your time.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum