Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: DVD + & - differences  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Conrad

DVD + & - differences
« on: October 03, 2005, 20:01 »
Ok, so total newbie question. :blush:

I have a DVD writer on my Laptop which I've never used. How do I find out which kind of writer it is? Do I have to buy a particular type of blank DVD? ie DVD-R or DVD+R?

Apologies in advance if I've totally got this wrong.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
DVD + & - differences
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 21:01 »
The +R/RW and -R/RW are simply two different formats, much as VHS and Betamax were in the old days of video.  +/-R means write once only , and +/-RW means ReWritable.  Which format you use, can depend on which make of drive you have, but many drives now support both formats.  You can find out much more information on the different formats HERE.  You might be able to find out the make of your drive by looking in Device Manager, under DVD/CD ROM Drives.  To find Device Manager in XP, right click your My Computer decktop icon, then select Manage, and you'll find Device Manager in the next window which pops up.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Conrad

DVD + & - differences
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 09:42 »
Thanks Simon

I've checked out Device Manager and it lists my drives as Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device  and  MATs**tA DVD-RAM UJ-815A

Don't suppose that means anything to you? :?:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
DVD + & - differences
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 13:37 »
Its a  DVD - R and -RW burner from what I found out about it, its a 2 x dvd writer and a 16 x CD writer  :)

Offline Conrad

DVD + & - differences
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 14:18 »
Quote from: "Sandra"
Its a  DVD - R and -RW burner from what I found out about it, its a 2 x dvd writer and a 16 x CD writer  :)

Christ - that'll take forever for the DVD's to burn! :wink:

Thanks Sandra....

Offline Simon

• Administrator
DVD + & - differences
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 16:45 »
Yes, these days, that's quite slow.  This laptop of yours is starting to look like more trouble than it's worth!  Have you considered getting a DVD Writer for your desktop PC?  You can get a Pioneer, dual layer, up to 8X (depending on format), all formats, for under £30 (+ postage) from DABS.  In fact, I'm even tempted by that myself, and you can get other makes even cheaper!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Conrad

DVD + & - differences
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 17:03 »
I didn't realise they were that cheap to be honest, last time I looked at the about a year ago they were over £100.

I think you may be right about the laptop but I'm refusing to give up on it just yet.

I will make it work, I must!  :laugh:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
DVD + & - differences
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 17:18 »
Well, as you have said yourself, the DVD Writer on the laptop is quite slow, compared to the latest ones, and will only be single layer as well, meaning you wouldn't fit more than a 2 hour film on without compressing, which reduces quality.  You are also having to shell out for XP to get the thing working in the first place.  I know exactly what you mean about not letting it defeat you, but economically, if all you want to do is burn a few DVDs from your desktop hard drive, a DVD Writer for your PC is your most viable option.   :)

Offline Conrad

DVD + & - differences
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 17:29 »
Very true, I guess in the long run I'll need a dual format drive anyway so no point getting by on this old one.

A mate of mine can get me a copy of XP if I need it so I'll save on that and can get a new DVD drive for the desktop PC. :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
DVD + & - differences
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 17:44 »
Good thinking - just make sure you also get a licence key for XP from your mate.  ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum