Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Firefoxie  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Firefoxie
« on: October 03, 2005, 23:48 »
I've just found this on Google.

http://www.firefoxie.net/

I looked on Mozilla site but couldn't see anything about it.

Wonder if it's worth installing.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Firefoxie
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 07:39 »
As far as I can make out, it's similar to Avant Lona.  It looks like Mozilla but still uses IE.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Firefoxie
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 08:09 »
I would advise caution, if downloading versions of Firefox from unknown sources, as you never know what else it might contain.  There's an IE theme for Moz / Firefox, HERE, but I'm not certain it's compatible with the latest versions.  Can do no harm to try it.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
Firefoxie
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 08:27 »
id stick with the original firefox off their actual servers. Also why would you want it to look like IE? They arent very different and infact if you did you would be losing all the key features of firefox. This one also doesnt seem to offer anything useful. An interesting find though, people are already trying to make money out of free software - argh!

Also this makes me suspicious:

Note: As noted on the website, FirefoxIE is not for installation over top of any other version of Firefox. It is a weakness of Mozilla Firefox itself that is supposed to be addressed in the next version of Firefox, version 1.5 The script is what does the installation. As noted on the website, if your security software gives you a script warning, simply allow it. The install is silent, there is no user interaction required except for allowing the script to run. You must have Internet Explorer 4.01 or higher installed on your PC. Once completed, the script will place icons both on the desktop and in the quick launch bar. After that you simply double click the icon on the desktop or single click the quick launch icon as per normal. FirefoxIE is faster than IE and even faster than the native install of Mozilla Firefox itself. You can read about the improvements in the present version and glean where it is headed from our latest press release.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Firefoxie
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 14:20 »
I though it was a bit of a gimic. :)

I'll just stick with Firefox. I think I've cured the problem of it not showing new posts but have developed a different one.

Everytime I open pc-pals now, I haven't been kept logged in.  I have to sign in every time.

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Firefoxie
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 16:36 »
That's usually (in fact, virtually always) because it's not storing the cookie, Lona.  Try going to Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies and click Exceptions.  Enter pc-pals.com in the box, and click Allow.  That should force FF to store the Pals cookie, even after you close the browser, and it will therefore keep you logged in.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Firefoxie
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 14:29 »
Strange but for some reason I was logged in ok today without doing anything.

I think this PC has a mind of it's own. :wink:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum