Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Arrrrghhh - My USB's are broke!  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Conrad

Arrrrghhh - My USB's are broke!
« on: October 04, 2005, 10:12 »
I bet you're all getting fed up of me already! The first page of threads will all be started by me at this rate! :blush:  :D

As per my other thread I'm having a lot of trouble with my Laptop. I was gonna try and re-install my OS but having found this forum I was gonna try and attempt to fix the problems before I went to those lengths.

I've just turned on my laptop and tried to connect to the net but my modem wasn't working - no power getting to it from the USB on my laptop. So I tried my other three USB ports but still the same. I then tried my printer in all 4 USB's and they don't work either.

I've looked in Device Manager and the USB's are no longer listed!

I dropped my Laptop a couple days ago, could this have broken them?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 13:14 »
I shouldnt think that dropping it would have removed them from the device manager.
A common reason for non functioning USB ports is that they have been disabled in the bios.
Do you know how to get into the bios ?
Laptops sometimes have a different sequence of keys to press than pcs do.
If you dont know howto get into the bios try DEL, F1 , F2, F10 maybe alone or with the Fn key at that same time.

Once in the bios look for onboard peripherals and then look for the USB host controller and make sure that its enabled  :)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 14:14 »
Sorry Sandra, do I do this whilst viewing my desktop or on startup?

I've tried those sequences on desktop but nothing happened

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 14:41 »
No its on start up just after the initial beep.
Sonetimes it needs the keys pressing repeatedly.
When the pc starts if it says on the first screen press XXX to enter setup thats the key/s and time to press them.
Sometimes it flashes past very quickly though  :(

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 17:14 »
Quote from: "Sandra"

Once in the bios look for onboard peripherals and then look for the USB host controller and make sure that its enabled  :)

Sandra - I've accessed my BIOS SETUP UTILITY (the blue and grey screen) and there's no mention of onboard peripherals or USB host controllers. I've looked in every possible menu but nothing. I've compared it with my desktop PC and that has eveything you mention but the laptop doesn't.

Am I looking in the wrong BIOS? Also, I think I noticed that on the initial start-up of the laptop when all that info flashes on the screen - I thinks I saw 'USB CONTROLLERS - NONE'

My eyes may be playing tricks on me but is there any way to stop this text on start-up to read it?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 17:34 »
If you hit the Pause/Break key as that part appears it should pause the screen and let you read it.
Press enter to resume its booting sequence  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum