Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: CD Rewriter Problem  (Read 1322 times)

Offline JR4

• New Registration
CD Rewriter Problem
« on: October 17, 2005, 11:01 »
My CD rewriter on my PC is causing me major problems

The drawer on the rewriter keeps opening of it's own accord constantly, this makes the PC think that a disk is about to be loaded and it runs autoplay mode which inevitably causes the machine to hang.

The drawer will also keep shuddering back and to

The light on the rewriter constanlty flickers red and orange

I've run all kinds of virus & Spyware checkers to ensure that that malicious software is not responsible.

Is it that the rewriter unit is faulty and requires replacing ????

Any suggestions would be appreciated

JR

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
CD Rewriter Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 13:23 »
Hi JR and :welcome:

The only reason that I can think of that will cause your problem is something that was going around in a "joke" email a year or two back that had an executable script in it that was called Coffee Cup Holder.

When you clicked on the link it opened the cd/dvd drawer.
I havent heard of one that does it repeatedly after being applied but there may be a variation that someone has brought out since.

If it is a script like that then once its installed I am not sure how you would detect and remove it although most AV programs should have script blocking enabled which would have stopped it coming in from a site or an email I would have thought.

I will have a look later and see if I can find anything out about it but if you see this before I reply again have a search for Coffee Cup Holder on the web and see if you can find anything that may help your problem.

Just a wild shot, do a search in your pcs search part for Coffee Cup Holder, hopefully that may find it and enable you to remove it if someones kept that name for the script.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
CD Rewriter Problem
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 13:55 »
I havent been able to find anything other than it may be a trojan, have you tried any Trojan scanners/removers ?

This page has some information about the script I mentioned earlier :

http://www.eagle-wing.net/ClickPicks/Internet/Advertising-03.shtml

It doesnt work on mine when I click on the link to open my drawer so my script blocker must be stopping it.

The only thing I can think of at the moment that will stop it making your pc hang when it opens then closes and does the autorun bit is to disable the autorun feature for the drive thats opening.

Maybe then you could look in your Event Viewer Log the next time the drawer opens and see if it shows whats triggering it.
At least if the auto run is disabled then your pc shouldnt hang as the drawer closes again.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
CD Rewriter Problem
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 16:14 »
It's possible that something could be stuck in the drive somewhere, causing it to think there is a disc jammed, which may cause it to open.  How are you at removing and installing hardware?  I would be tempted to remove the drive, while it is open, if you can, and give it a gentle shake, in the hope that if there is a foreign object in there, it will drop out.

At worst, if you need a new drive, they are only about fifteen quid, from the likes of Dabs.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
CD Rewriter Problem
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 18:25 »
I know that the Optix Pro trojan does that.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
CD Rewriter Problem
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 19:38 »
Some information here on the trojan that Dave mentioned :

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=archive&id=analysis-optixpro

This is supposed to be a free trial for a program that will scan and remove it if it is that one :

http://www.scanspyware.net/info/OptixPro1.31.htm

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum