Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: So far......  (Read 2913 times)

Offline POSTMAN477

So far......
« on: September 24, 2005, 23:19 »
So far build goes like this:
Biostar k8 nfa4st-a9 mainboard
Athlon67 3700 san diego
1xsamsung dvd/cd wr
1xsamsung dvd dua layer..rw
1x120mmcase fan,rear
1x80mm case fan,side.
2xpc400 geil dual channel memory
zalman fan heatsink cnps700 cooler

just got to get hard drive and graphics card....any reccommendations that will run with this well...
first pc buit just guessed components will it work who knows?????????hopeing it will be faster than this p3 laptop..... :twisted:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
So far......
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 11:40 »
For hard drives I like Western Digital, they seem to have 3 year guarantees unlike most others that only have 12 months and arent much dearer.
Some of the higher capacity Maxtor SATA drives are now doing 3 years and some are even 5 year guarantees but the 5 year ones are quite expensive.

Any reasonable graphics card should easily out perform what you have been used to on your laptop  :)

Offline DualBoy

• http://www.pingme.ca
So far......
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 08:53 »
Sandra your avitar scared the heck outta me LOL... moved my mouse over ita nd yikes... Volume at full blast... AH!!!!! LOL

As for posts... It looks like no ones been upgrading since Sept... Everyones holding bated breath for upgrades I guess.. Waiting for those good old Dual Cores to drop down in price :)

WD drives are my fav too.. but not for warranty reasons just experience. And 3 year isnt rare with others. WD only has 12 month on 2mb standard drives like others. 3 year on SE drives standard with other mans too. Samsung I believe has 3 years on all.. and Seagate has some really good coverage better than WD from what I know. Easy enough to check though. I am looking at upgradding my aging desktop too will post what I am thinking perhaps :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
So far......
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 11:58 »
I was in the process of building a new pc for myself and even bought a really nice Chietec case when Aldi had a Medion 8800 pc for sale at a price that I couldnt buy the bits for (£749-99) :shock:

Intel D 830 cpu ( 3ghz dual core ), 1 gig DDR 2 ram, PCI-e Nvidia gfx card 6700 GT, 250 gig sata hard drive, 2 x DVB-T, 2 x DVB-S and 2 x Analogue TV tuners, 16 x DVD writer with light scribe, card readers.

I cant think of anything it hasnt got, oh its BTX too so super quiet and as I want it to replace my VCR and DVD player and its going to sit in the lounge next to my tv that was an important factor.

Very pleased with it so far but having problems with the DVB-T tuners at the moment, the analogue and satellite are fine though  :)

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
So far......
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 12:13 »
You might have to upgrade your aerial to recive all the DVB channels Sandra.

They say if you can get the history channel then you should be able to get them all but i'm not sure if that's just in my region or not.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
So far......
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 12:22 »
No its not an aerial problem, I have a clear line of sight to the local transmitter, maybe 5 miles away at most.
I get all the freeview channels on my set top box showing at maximum signal and also on this pc with a different card in it, all coming off the same aerial  :?

Offline DualBoy

So far......
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 07:52 »
Interesting. Hum why an intel 830? There should have been less expensive AMD 64 skt 939s?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
So far......
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 12:08 »
I was going to build using Intel so I was pleased it had that one and not AMD.

I dont want it for gaming, its going to be used for recording and playing back tv, playibg dvds and films from the hard drive and running my server so reliability, quietness and stability were my main requirements  :)

Offline sam

• Administrator
So far......
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 18:14 »
for gaming it has to be an amd!!!
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline DualBoy

So far......
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 04:15 »
AMDs are faster overall and the new X2s use less power and heat than intels dual cores.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum