Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Routers  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
Routers
« on: December 17, 2005, 02:50 »
What causes routers to freeze? I have a linksys brand router. Ive had three, and theyve all frozen on me. I have a motorola at my work, it freezes on me. WTF causes these routers to freeze. The room is quite comfortable, there isn't water or power surges causing interferance. Yet none of them work continously. AHHHHHHrgggggg

Offline sam

• Administrator
Routers
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 11:06 »
thats odd!!!!

are you sure the power supply is good?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Routers
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 12:01 »
Just a mindless suggestion, but could you have a common piece of software both at work and at home which might be causing it?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
Routers
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 12:06 »
It might be something to do with the Telco in your area  :dunno:

Have you got the latest software on them?

And it may help to use a UTP on them too.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Routers
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 12:07 »
Not had that problem myself Bob  :?

I have a cheap ADSL Wi Fi/modem/router (conexant based chip but unbranded) and thats been on 24/7 more or less for the last 2 years or so.
The only time its been switched off is during power cuts and occassionally when my ISP has had a problem and I needed to reboot the router to connect again.

Offline sam

• Administrator
Routers
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 17:55 »
so maybe the isp is just s**te, does ur work use the same on as u?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
Routers
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 19:51 »
Both my work and home use southwesternbell SBC. Its a service, i couldn't imagine a service causing a hardware issue like this. The rooms aren't too warm, theyre just comfortable. The patch cables are regular run of the mill utp cat5e.

Offline sam

• Administrator
Routers
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 21:11 »
well it there ip address keeps rapidly changing (does it?) then it could confuse a router, or if the connection keeps droping then it might also do the same thing.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline DualBoy

• http://www.pingme.ca
Routers
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 19:16 »
What do you mean freeze? Like cant ping the unit or loginto it and renew DHCP kinda stuff? Did you check for firmware updates for that model? Using any VPN software?

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
Routers
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 20:22 »
All pcs connected to the router either through wireless or patchcable loose connection. Network goes down. No dhcp nothing. Wireless machines look for different network. When i unplug and replug the router the network comes back up.

Now i don't know how to gauge if the host ip is changing too often. I don't think it keeps a log of that sort of deal.

Offline DualBoy

• http://www.pingme.ca
Routers
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 07:47 »
How often does this happen?
you try to lower your MTU to say 1454 and disable DHCP and manually asign the IPs and see if any of this resolves it.

Firmwares updated... no other sites or googles show similar problems with others. Anyting weird int eh mix on the network? Cables? Lengths? Actual interface speeds?

Good luck thought with it.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum