Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: First quantum byte created  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
First quantum byte created
« on: December 02, 2005, 10:19 »
(JND) - The Institute of Quantum Optics and Quantum Information at the University of Innsbruck in Austria has created an entanglement of eight quantum particles, yielding a quantum byte or "qubyte", or eight qubits. This is an important step toward the realization of a practical quantum computer, which would use superposed quantum states to perform complex calculations. A detailed writeup of this work is available in English and German. The formal paper was published in the December 1st issue of Nature.

Contributors to the breaktrough are researchers from IQOQI under the supervision of Rainer Blatt and Hartmut Häffner in coaction with Otfried Gühne and Wolfgang Dür of the Innsbruck research group directed by Hans Jürgen Briegelhave.

With a trap using magnetic fields they captured eight calcium ions, lined them up, and set up them in "W states" using a complicated laser technology. A quantum byte with eight ions provides a computing matrix of 65,536 (0-255 x 0-255) elements that are mostly independent. It is suggested that the method should be scalable so that the number of ions could be increased. This experiment proves that the kind of ion traps used in Innsbruck are the most promising technology for the realization of large computing matrices.

LINK

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 20:38 »
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 20:28 »
im not sure if the word quantum should really be used...but hey maybe I'm just a pedantic theoretical astrophysicist... and what do I know - I'm an astronomer not a quantum physicist (and hopefully the young ladies know that... lol!)
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 04:38 »
Simons that banner  :censored: . I had earphones on.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 08:01 »
Quote from: "Bobscrachy"
Simons that banner  :censored: . I had earphones on.

:pmsl:  Merry Christmas!!  :grin:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline DualBoy

• http://www.pingme.ca
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 10:09 »
Quantum computers by 2150 or else I am not investing in any new hardware purchases! A computer that can do almost infinite calculations/states at any given time could solve problems/programs that would take current day computers eons plus they can probably be more effective at warming up my coffee cup.

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 11:33 »
I wonder what version of Windows it will be running.   :pcpunch:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum