Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: pc shutdown  (Read 1360 times)

Offline KRO

pc shutdown
« on: December 10, 2005, 09:32 »
wow there are so many different forums on here, i hope i've got the right one.
can anyone help please, when i turn my pc off i go to start and then click the turn off box when it appears, now occasionally it would not turn off and i would need to hold in the button on my pc to turn it off, well it seems to rarely turn off when i go through the "normal"procedure now and i have to do it manually, any clues please ?
cheers keith.
 :?:  :?:  :?:
cheers kro.....

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
pc shutdown
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 09:38 »
I'm not a techie Keith but the first thing they will want to know is which version of Windows you are using? (XP/98 etc)

Offline KRO

pc shutdown
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 10:02 »
thanks clive,i'm using windows XP.
cheers kro.....

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
pc shutdown
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 11:10 »
It sounds like a program is 'sticking', i.e. not properly closing down when you shut down your PC.  Do you ever get a dialogue box pop up which says "xxx is not responding", and gives you ths option to close it, when you shut down?  If this has started happening more recently, have you installed any new programs, or uninstalled anything prior to the problem worsening?  Something else to check for, is whether you may have something running in the background, which you are unaware of.  Suggest you run a spyware check with Ad Aware and Spybot.

Ad Aware
Spybot S&D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline DualBoy

• http://www.pingme.ca
pc shutdown
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 23:59 »
Yap sounds like a program or service isnt shutting down properly. Best to check your manage logs and also if you want generate a Hijackthis log and post the results once the problem is resolved please remove the log though since it makes such a headache for techies when searching on google (A zillion and one hijackthis logs = hard to find what your looking for)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum