Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: building new pc help  (Read 4819 times)

Offline sally77

building new pc help
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 19:52 »
well, including the monitor and OS and all the other components, i've got it to about £600, and that is also including your speakers  ;-)

So my intention is to show her what it would cost to build it, then show her comparisons of pre-built, then leave the decision making up to her! hopefully she will choose the pre-built, and save me a lot of hassle!!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
building new pc help
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006, 19:55 »
That sounds reasonable.  I just edited my previous post, which you may have missed, to add this:-

Quote from: "Simon"
One tip, you can get one DVD-RW drive, which will do everything, for about £30, as they have dramatically dropped in price over the last year or so.

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=314089&cks=PLS

If you shop around a bit, you might even get a better one (Sony?) for a similar price.  By the way, if you get the job, and decide to buy the components online, try to limit the number of retailers you use, as this will save on shipping costs.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sally77

building new pc help
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2006, 19:59 »
Excellent, thanks very much... Was only planning on getting one anyway...

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
building new pc help
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 01:35 »
If you could stretch to it then I would go for this GFX card :

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=100895

Like Simon, I prefer Nvidia GeForce to ATI for normal pc use, although ATI again seem to be the preferred choice for gamers.

That mobo looks good.

A new mobo from someone like ASUS usually comes with all the IDE, Sata and floppy cables already in the box.

A 500 watt PSU should come with all or most of the power connectors that you need.

Offline sally77

building new pc help
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2006, 21:39 »
Thanks Sandra, thats a great help, many thanks! Will give her options and see where she wants to go with it.... heres fingers crossed she goes for prebuilt after all this....!

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum