Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: monitor colour  (Read 3170 times)

Offline BOO99992003

monitor colour
« on: February 03, 2003, 16:42 »
HELP!  :'(I WAS BROWSING THROUGH A SOMEONES PROFILE AND MY SCREEN TURNED PURPLE! CONSEQUENTLY IT IS NOW A PALE PURPLE AND ANYTHING THAT USED TO BE RED IS NOW ORANGE! WHAT IS THIS! I HAVE CHECKED FOR VIRUS AND THERE IS NONE AND I HAVE CHECKED THE BRIGHTNESS ON MONITOR,DOESNT MAKE A DIFFERENCE.IT HAS EVEN TURNED THE WRITING PURPLE WHEN I SWITCH THE PC ON AND IT IS STARTING UP.   ANY IDEAS? ???
hanks, hope you can help! Don x

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:monitor colour
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2003, 17:36 »
Hi BOO99992003 and welcome to the forum.  It sounds to me as if it is a degauss problem which usually corrects itself when you re-boot.  However, some monitors have a degauss button which you could try.  If that doesn't work, I'm sure someone else will come up with more help very shortly.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2003, 17:56 »
It appears that you have lost the green colour Boo.
Have you got a menu on your monitor for adjusting the individual colour settings for your monitor?
If so check that.
Also check that the connection to the PC is secure.
Failing this it could be similar to a problem I had a few months ago,which turned out to be a "dry joint",I lost my red colour. I found that if I thumped the monitor sharply it came back ok for a short while,not very technical but it would point you in the right direction maybe  :)

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2003, 19:03 »
Hi BOO99992003 & Welcome ;D

I had a similar problem a few months back with a Packard Bell monitor.  This one had a 'De-Magnitise' button within the onscreen menu of the monitor.  Not sure if this is the same as degaus (see Clives post), but once pressed the monitor display wobbeled for a few seconds and all was fine!

Also try disconnecting all monitor leads from the PC and wall plug (if there is one) and waiting a few minutes, reconnect these and see if that helps.

Good Luck!

DJ1UK

Offline BOO99992003

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2003, 19:04 »
HI THANK YOU HAVE LOOKED INTO BOTH REPLIES AND IT SEEMS YOU ARE RIGHT IN SAYING I HAVE LOST MY GREEN BUT HOW DO I GET IT BACK? I TRIED THE COLOUR CURVE (WHATEVER THAT IS IN ENGLISH)AND TRIED DEFAULT ECT BUT IT HASNT WORKED HOW DID YOU GET YOU GREEN BACK?

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2003, 19:08 »
re you able to give us the make and model of the monitor - might help us solve your problem! ;)

Thanks

DJ1UK

Offline BOO99992003

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2003, 19:12 »
ITS A "TIME" LG MODEL 520SI, IS THAT ENOUGH INFO? :-";"xx

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2003, 19:20 »
Try waggling the lead that goes from the PC to the Monitor at each end while looking at the monitor in case it alters the colours.If it does undo the lead and reconnect it to make sure it is a secure connection.
If that doesnt cure it then its an internal fault in the monitor by the looks of it.Have you got another monitor you could beg,borrow or steal to try on your PC?

DJ, the De magnetise is the same as Degauss but all TV sets and monitors have a degauss circuit built in that does it as soon as you switch on.Thats the noise you often hear on some monitors when you switch on  :-*

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2003, 19:20 »
I've done a quick seach - but all i can find is drivers for your monitor - which isn't much help!

Also a spec HERE which isn't much more help.

Have you tried to degauss / de-magnitise the screen using the buttons on the front of the monitor ? Not sure of the exact ones to press - but have a go and let us know !!

Hopefully more techie minded people will pass by soon and give some more advice

DJ1UK

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2003, 19:22 »

DJ, the De magnetise is the same as Degauss but all TV sets and monitors have a degauss circuit built in that does it as soon as you switch on.Thats the noise you often hear on some monitors when you swith on  :-*

Thanks for that Sandra - you learn something new every day!

I have had to manually degauss my monitor if it displays a strange purple or orange tinge! ::)

DJ1UK

Offline BOO99992003

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2003, 19:24 »
Thanks for all your help, i'll let you know how i get on, im so glad someone is willing to help computer fools like me! ::)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2003, 19:34 »
Colour probs caused by a need to degauss are usually just localised patches of wrong colour or haziness not generally over the whole screen area DJ  :-*

Offline BOO99992003

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2003, 19:37 »
i have tried the lead thing and the screen alternated colours including red which worked but :-[ when i plugged it back in, same problem

Adept

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2003, 19:43 »
Hi BOO99992003 :welcome:

It sounds like you may have a broken wire in the monitor lead or some other bad connection, perhaps in the connector itself.

Does your monitor have a detachable lead? If so you can purchase a new one for about £10-£15. If not, then I'm afraid it's a trip to the menders :(

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2003, 19:45 »
Did the green come back at all or did you lose other colours while waggling the lead?
Which end of the lead had some effect when waggling it?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum