Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Computer Freeze  (Read 1620 times)

Offline greenking

• Loyal Member
Computer Freeze
« on: February 02, 2003, 23:36 »
Hi All  ;D ;D ;D

This isn't my problem but its for a friend of mine who promises to sign up if he ever gets back online   ;) ;) ;)

He's running windows ME and when he tries to boot up it freezes as the programs are loading. Seems to load a bit different from mine but thats AOL for you i think.

It isn't freezing at the same point each time though so Could this be an AOL software problem I wonder.

I've run the De frag for him but could only do this in safe mode (he'd never do it.  :o :o :o)

If you can sort this out you will gain a new member but best of all I'll get free beer all night :go:  :help: :thanks:   ;) ;D ;D

My goal in life is to become half as good a person as my dog already thinks I am

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Computer Freeze
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2003, 00:18 »
First of all if this problem only occurred after installing another program,uninstall it,I assume that you/he can get into safe mode.in that case go to control panel,add/remove and uninstall it from there then see if it will start ok.
If not ME has a System Restore which can be accessed from the restore floppy that should have come with his PC.It may also be possible to access it in safe mode but I am not certain of this,see below from microsoft.com :

So what can it restore? System Restore can restore nearly all system-related files, as well as the registry. Keep in mind that System Restore does not save documents or user files at all. In short, System Restore is not a backup utility in any way. How do I open System Restore? System Restore can be opened by clicking on Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, then point to Systems Tools, and clicking System Restore. System Restore, as we mentioned before, can also be opened from the Msconfig General folder tab.

How does Windows System Restore make a restore point? System Restore creates restore points right after Windows Me is installed; after re-enabling System Restore from when it has been manually disabled; after the computer has been on for a total of more than 10 hours, and idle for at least 8 minutes; when programs are installed (if using the new Windows Installer 6.1 in Windows Millennium Edition); or when the customer manually makes one from the System Restore tool by selecting Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and point to System Tools.

When does Windows System Restore not make a restore point? When System Restore has been turned off on Control Panel, from the Performance tab and file system Advanced button, on the Troubleshooting folder tab, and rebooted, it won't be working. Or when you've gone into Msconfig and removed the check mark next to the *Statemgr, or state manager entry, and rebooted. System Restore, likewise, does not keep track of changes in Safe mode. It also does not work when there is 50 MB or less of free space on the partition Windows Me is installed to, or when booting from the emergency boot disk.

Good luck,I hope you get plenty of beer  :-*

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2003, 08:05 »
You can access system restore in safe mode on Win Me so you shouldn't have to revert to the floppy.  This means that you need only go back a day or so and you won't lose too much data.

Adept

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2003, 09:12 »
Nothing to add to Sandra's excellent reply Greenking.

Except Good Luck!

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2003, 09:21 »
Our Sandra would make any computer illiterate man very happy ????.and I dare I say some savvy ones as well  ;)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline greenking

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2003, 20:13 »
:thanks: for your help everyone.

He had installed AGV and was running it along side Macafee.  I've unstalled Macafee and it's been running fine since.

You've come up trumps for me again Sandra :thanks:

Will be toasting you whilst I'm necking these beers tonight  ;) ;) ;)
My goal in life is to become half as good a person as my dog already thinks I am

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2003, 20:36 »
Glad its sorted Greenking. Did you have to use System Restore or did uninstalling the extra AV prog sort it by itself ?

Dont get too drunk on your next night out with him  ;)

Offline greenking

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2003, 01:18 »
Just uninstalling the AV was all it took.

That 3D Sig is looking good  :P :P :P

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum