Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Laptop graphics  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Laptop graphics
« on: February 16, 2006, 00:27 »
Basic question for now - can the graphics on a laptop be upgraded?  I bought the latest Sims 2 game for a relation's 13th birthday, and they have found that the graphics on their laptop are not up to the required spec, and their desktop PC is about 6 years old, so no hope there either!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Laptop graphics
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 01:48 »
Not usually feasable Simon.
Only usually the ram and even thats not by much  :(

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Laptop graphics
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 11:12 »
OK, that's what I thought, thanks Sandra.  The only other option may be to see how far we can go with the desktop PC.  
Would the motherboard specs be an issue (apart from whether it has AGP or not) in choosing a graphics card, i.e. is it likely that a 6 year old mobo won't support a mid - high spec graphics card of today?  Are there any other factors to consider, like existing RAM?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Laptop graphics
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 12:38 »
Ram shouldnt be a problem as the card will have its own ram.
If it has an AGP slot then you may be limited to a 4x AGP card although I think it will run an 8 x at 4 x speed.
There used to be different voltages so it would be advisable to check the mobo specs before buying one.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Laptop graphics
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 15:14 »
OK, thanks San.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum