Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: wots gone wrong with my mouse  (Read 2241 times)

Offline KRO

wots gone wrong with my mouse
« on: December 29, 2006, 00:59 »
hi everybody, hope you all had a good christmas...... and will have a good new year.
can anyone help please, i've just changed from bt yahoo to AOL and for some reason the back button on my mouse no longer works, i now have to scroll up to the top of the screen each time i want to go back.
is this something i'll have to put up with now with AOL, or can i rectify it, it was so much easier to just click on the side of the mouse.

many thanks

KRO
cheers kro.....

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: wots gone wrong with my mouse
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 11:35 »
I think you may regret moving to AOL.  Many people I know have switched from it, for various reasons.  I can't give a positive diagnosis, but my guess would be that the AOL browser isn't compatible with mouse guestures.  Hopefully someone who uses or has used AOL, will be able to help you further, but in the meantime, have you gone through all the browser settings?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 13:29 »
I didn't realise you can buy a mouse with a back button.  It's a brilliant idea!  Does AOL still prevent you from using IE7 or Firefox?  I know it was like that years ago when I last used it but I'm amazed if that hasn't changed.  What make is your mouse KRO?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 13:42 by Clive »

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 13:33 »
There are lots of mice about now with 5 or more buttons Clive.
The extra ones can usually be programmed to do various short cuts such as page back, page forward, home page, open mail or other programs.

I have a laser cordless one that I havent taken out of its box yet which I bought 6 months ago that has 10 programmable buttons  :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 13:36 by Sandra »

Offline KRO

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 13:41 »
thanks for the reply's, clive my mouse (i call it stewart little) is a trust MI-4500X wireless optical mouse.
yes sandra as you say my mouse has a forward page and back page buttons and i've gotten so used to using this facility that i am missing it already (changed to AOL last night)
any idea's how to programme it for AOL would be very gratefully received.

many thanks

KRO...
cheers kro.....

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 14:03 »
I cant see why being on AOL would stop it doing as its done before.
Have you tried it on another pc to make sure that the button hasnt packed up ?

Have you tried using the CD if it came with one ?

Trust is getting to be a big name in PC peripherals now so maybe they have a forum for trust products if you do a search and see if anyone has the same problem with AOL or possibly a solution.

I assume that clicking on the back arrow on the AOL browser takes it back a page, if not then its something in the AOL setup.
If it does that ok then its got to be a problem with the mouse or its settings I would think, but withoyt being at the pc I cant imagine what the problem would be.  :dunno:

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 14:03 »
I'd get the latest drivers for it from here first before trying anything else.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 14:53 »
I didn't realise you can buy a mouse with a back button.  It's a brilliant idea!  Does AOL still prevent you from using IE7 or Firefox?  I know it was like that years ago when I last used it but I'm amazed if that hasn't changed.  What make is your mouse KRO?

I've been using a 5 button Kensington Optical Elite for about 2 years now, and have never had a problem with it.  These are very robust and reliable, and the back / forward buttons work straight out of the box, with no additional software.  Highly recommended, and not bank breaking.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 15:21 »
Unfortunately I've only just bought a new mouse within the last two weeks.  It's just a two button with scroll wheel and cost £2.50 at Tesco's.  I paid PC World £19 for the previous one which only lasted 3 years before it started to play up.  Sorry KRO, but your best bet is a Trust forum as someone else may have already experienced this problem. 

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 23:05 »
I didn't realise you can buy a mouse with a back button.  It's a brilliant idea!  Does AOL still prevent you from using IE7 or Firefox? 

when did that happen Clive ? When I used that bag of poo called AOL many moons ago, I used to just connect to the web via AOL, and then browsed the web with IE. Ofcourse that was before the King of Browsers Firefox came along. Firefox and the "Mouse Gestures" extension gives you back and forward control at the flick of the wrist. There are hundereds of Firefox extensions but I've onlt downloaded around twenty.

Happy New Playmates.
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 00:18 »
Unfortunately I've only just bought a new mouse within the last two weeks.  It's just a two button with scroll wheel and cost £2.50 at Tesco's.  I paid PC World £19 for the previous one which only lasted 3 years before it started to play up. 

Sorry, Clive, but:

:pmsl:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 09:16 »
When I used aol I think they had their own dedicated browser.  Then they bought and switched to Netscape which was a vast improvement.  Netscape then became Firefox.  Of course I may have simply made all this up - who knows?   ;D

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 09:40 »
well slightly clive... lol..

aol definetely did have their own browser, that is for sure.  ;D
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum