Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: PC upgrade query  (Read 769 times)

Offline Scotty_CFC

PC upgrade query
« on: March 12, 2006, 14:52 »
Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade my PC (CPU, Motherboard and memory).

I currently have a 1.8 Celeron, 2 x 256mb PC2100 ram and a 4 year old motherboard. I am looking to upgrade to a 3.0 P4 D640 800mhz bus, with 2 x 512mb DDR1 and compatable motherboard.

My question is, Would I be able to use my old Hard Drives on the new system? I want to do this as I have my HD's organised the way I like it and I dont want to buy XP again as I dont have it on CD.

Also, know any good places to buy cheap components?  :D

Thanks

Scott

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: PC upgrade query
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 15:38 »
Quote from: "Scotty_CFC"

I currently have a 1.8 Celeron, 2 x 256mb PC2100 ram and a 4 year old motherboard. I am looking to upgrade to a 3.0 P4 D640 800mhz bus, with 2 x 512mb DDR1 and compatable motherboard.

My question is, Would I be able to use my old Hard Drives on the new system? I want to do this as I have my HD's organised the way I like it and I dont want to buy XP again as I dont have it on CD.

Also, know any good places to buy cheap components?  :D

Do you mean a 3ghz dual core D830 or a 3.2ghz single core 640  :?

A lot of the intel 775 based motherboards are now coming put with DDR 2 ram in dual channel mode.
I would suggest looking for one of those, unless you are wanting to use up some ram that you already have.  
Most motherboards are now coming with SATA and IDE channels so you should be able to use your current hard drives.

Unfortunately because of the way that XP works, you cant usually install XP on one drive and use that drive in another pc as it wont boot.
Its part of Microsofts anti piracy games.

If youre very lucky, it works for some but not others, theres a small file that you can add to your registry before you remove the drive from the pc that its already running XP on.
I understand that it adds the extra IDE drive controllers so that XP may boot up when its in a different pc to that which it was initially installed on.

Tony posted about how to do it ages ago, I will see if I can find it and add the link to it here.

You may find though that you do have to actually reinstall XP completely though  :(

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum