Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: My New PC  (Read 6581 times)

Offline gmax

• Established Member
My New PC
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 03:46 »
that's very nice,now you can save for a new camera! 8-)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
My New PC
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 11:50 »
I bought one a few weeks back so may take some more pics soon  :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: My New PC
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 01:23 »
I have upgraded my already fast pc by replacing the 660 3.6 ghz single core with 2mb of L2 cache cpu with a D945 3.4 ghz dual core with 2mb L2 cache on each core cpu  :)

When I was looking at cpu options earlier this year I decided on the 660 as the D830 was £244 and that was only a 3 ghz with 1mb L2 cache on each core.
I didnt even consider a D900 series as all the D900s were well over £300.
The 660 was £270 but as I said earlier I got a great deal on it and paid £208 for it, its still on sale for £270 in most places.

I noticed recently that the D945 was on sale in various places for under £100 inc vat  :o

My pc is used mainly as a media centre pc and I want to add a High Definition Satellite DVB S2 card quite soon.
The best one that appears to be around at the moment reccommends a D 820 or D830 cpu so I assumed my 660 would be fine.
However I recently read a review on that card and was surprised to see that the 3.8ghz version of my cpu worked ok with that card as long as the pc wasnt doing anything else.
If it was running any other applications then the playback was jerky.   :(

So I decided I had best get the D945 while it was cheap and still available.

Before I changed the cpus I ran Si Soft Sandra and a video converting program called Auto Gordian Knot so that I could compare the difference in specifications and performance after fitting the new cpu.

I am really pleased with the results and have attached a word document showing the specifications and performance of each cpu side by side.

I cant believe that the new cpu is under half the price of the old one and is so much faster  :o

Even though the word doc is in the limits of the forum it wont let me post it ?
I will try and post it later somehow.

This is the thing that really impressed me :

Converting 4 Hr 52 min mpg film 6.58 gig to 4.29 gig Xvid using Auto Gordian Knot

660   : Job finished. Total time: 6 hours 3 minutes 46 seconds

D945 : Job finished. Total time: 4 hours 25 minutes 21 seconds

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: My New PC
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 02:42 »
I had to convert my nicely formatted word.doc to htm and it messed it up  :(

You will have to see what the figures on the left refer to by reading the text in the right hand column.

If anyone wants the pristine version of the word.doc pm me your email address and I will send it by email  :)

http://www.sandrataylor.dsl.pipex.com/CpuPerformance.htm

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum