Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Bit of a weird one, HELP  (Read 1805 times)

Offline spooner

Bit of a weird one, HELP
« on: March 24, 2006, 06:45 »
hi all,
i have my main pc with a secondary pc hard wired to it through a router for my network. the thing is my main pc is now showing that i`m working off line, i cannot get access to the internet at all, but my secondary pc is working fine, internet access no problems ??
i`ve looked on the network connections tab and it`s showing a red cross on my line.
does anybody have any ideas what i could try,
thanks in advance
sed all my sick, t`morra i`m ringing in dead !

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Bit of a weird one, HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 07:49 »
If you are using Internet Explorer, go to Tools > Internet Options > Connections and make sure 'Always dial my default connection' is selected.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline spooner

Bit of a weird one, HELP
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 09:02 »
even if i`m on broadband ?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Bit of a weird one, HELP
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 10:14 »
Umm... depends if your on a router, perhaps?  I think it still has to use a default connection of some sort, so it won't hurt to tick that box and see what happens.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Bit of a weird one, HELP
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 12:14 »
That option is usually greyed out if youre connecting through ethernet to a router Simon.

Have you tried going into your network connections folder and right clicking in youe LAN icon and selecting repair ?
If it says it cant repair or a similar message then often by switching off all pcs and the router, for a minute or two, then switching them all back on will allow the router to sort itself out and reassign the IP addresses to your pcs.

If that doesnt work then check your ethernet cables, try it in a different port on the router.

If its still not working then on the pc that isnt connecting, go to Start/Run and type CMD and click OK.
In the dos window type IPCONFIG /Renew and hit enter.
Hopefully that will force the pc to dump its current IP adddress and make the router reassign it.

Offline spooner

Bit of a weird one, HELP
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 17:13 »
hmmmm, no none of that worked, i didn`t even get the option to repair as it was greyed out.
the thing i have notice now is, the little green light that flashes where you plug your ethernet cable in, this works in my modem, works on my secondary pc (which has no connection problem), but dosen`t work on my primary pc. even if i totally bypass my router and wire it as my only pc, would anybody think my network card may be goosed !?,
let me know as it`s no probs to nip and get a new one

cheers

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Bit of a weird one, HELP
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 18:36 »
Its looking like its got some problem.
Have you checked that its showing as installed ok in your device manager with no yellow ! or ?  ?

If it is then uninstall it and then shut the pc down.
Remove the card and then reboot it and shut down again.
Replace the card and see if its detected as it reboots and installs it again, possibly use a different PCI slot if you have one available.

Offline spooner

Bit of a weird one, HELP
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 18:44 »
will try,
cheers

Offline spooner

Bit of a weird one, HELP
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 23:27 »
i`ve put a new card in and it`s cured it,
thanks for all your help  :D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum