Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: File Sharing On A Wireless Network  (Read 4008 times)

Offline kevinho

File Sharing On A Wireless Network
« on: April 18, 2006, 09:51 »
Ok I am totally stuck  :?

I have now got 2 desktop computers sharing internet access on a wireless network. No problems there (i dont think :) )

Now i want to start sharing files between the 2 pc's etc. I will have a laptop join as well at some point in the future.

Trouble is i thought it would be straight forward with the wireless network wizard but windows tells me that it will not work.

Any ideas where i go from here to start sharing files etc?

Win XP pro SP2 Belkin Highspeed mode wireless G modem/router and 2 High speed mode usb network adapters.

Did i say high speed? Well thats a laugh  :laugh:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 10:53 »
I think the first place I might look is the router firewall.  I admit to knowing nothing much about these, but one might assume that it may need to be configured to allow P2P transfers?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline kevinho

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 11:20 »
Sorry if i was a bit vague  :)
I just want to run my computers on my network. If you know what i mean. Are you on about P2P as in the file sharing networks ie kazaa, bit torrents etc? I know that the firewall is an issue for them, but found that easy to get around  :)

Is the firewall an issue for home networking? The wireless network wizard wouldnt work so i am stuck with 2 pc's that just share an internet connection and i want to be able to transfer files and access files between pc's  :cry:

I really thought it would be easy  :blush:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 11:22 »
Yeah, slightly out of my depth here, Sandra will rescue us soon, I'm sure, but I think you need to enable the firewall to 'see' each machine, something to do with IP addresses...?  Sorry to be vague myself!  :blush2:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline kevinho

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 11:44 »
Thanks Simon I will have a look and see what i can do  :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 13:28 »
Simon is correct Kevin.
A firewall will stop file sharing across the LAN.
You must configure it if it hasnt already set it up to allow it.

Did you select the file and printer sharing option on each pc when you ran the network wizard ?
Also to allow one pc to send files to the other you need to allow "other pcs on the network to change or modify my files" or words to that effect.

The first thing to do is to open My Network Places and click on show Workgroup computers from the menu on the left.
That should show both your pcs and if you click on the second pc that should open up and show any folders that are set for file sharing.
If it wont open that computer then its almost certainly not been set up for file sharing or the firewall is blocking it.

Temporarily disable the firewall/s on both pcs and see if you can open the other pc from each pc.
If you can see the folders then its the firewall if you still cant then run the network wizard again and select file and printer sharing.

Offline kevinho

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 14:17 »
Did you select the file and printer sharing option on each pc when you ran the network wizard ?

The wireless network wizard in control panel says that it wont work something to do with SP2?

I'm assuming that this is a stage of the wireless networking wizrd? If so i didnt get that far.

The first thing to do is to open My Network Places and click on show Workgroup computers from the menu on the left.
That should show both your pcs and if you click on the second pc that should open up and show any folders that are set for file sharing.

There is nothing showing there.

If it wont open that computer then its almost certainly not been set up for file sharing or the firewall is blocking it.

Temporarily disable the firewall/s on both pcs and see if you can open the other pc from each pc.
If you can see the folders then its the firewall if you still cant then run the network wizard again and select file and printer sharing.

I will try that now and see what happens.

Offline kevinho

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 14:49 »
I will try that now and see what happens.

Ok. From down stairs i could see the computer upstairs. From upstairs I could just see the upstairs computer. With the firewall off.

Maybe a bit of both? Firewall and file/printer sharing?

Offline kevinho

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 15:06 »
Now i have been able to save a file from downstairs to up stairs and upstairs computer can see down stairs  :D this is with the firewall on. Open a file on the downstairs computer from the upstairs computer because of access rights or something.

Some progress anyway  :)

Will check the folders and permissions.  :hammer:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 15:08 »
Ok sort the firewalls out so that you can see both pcs from each other in Workgroups computers.

Once thats done make or select an existing folder on one of your drives.
Right click on it and there should be an option called Sharing and Security, (it may not be there if you havent set it to allow file and printer sharing), tick the boxes for Share this folder on my network and the Allow Network Users to Change my Files.

That should place a hand icon under the folder and you should be able to open that from the other pc and move files into and out of it.

Do the same on the other pc.

You can do that with as many folders as you like or even the whole drive but MS recommends not sharing the root of a drive.
I dont share the root of C but I have got other drives that are fully open on my network and havent had any problems.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 15:10 »
Quote from: "kevinho"

Will check the folders and permissions.  :hammer:

You must have posted as I was replying Kevin.

Folder permissions set correctly should sort you out now hopefully  :)

Offline kevinho

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 15:38 »
Thanks again Sandra & Simon.
Its working fine now and i really dont know how that came about must have been somethung to do with turning the firewall off and then back on. Strange!

Next securing the network. This will be fun. I have installed the mcafee wireless home network security thing but havent got a clue what it does yet. I hope its idiot proof  :)

It seems complicated enabling WEP through the modem/router  :?

Anyway much happier now  :D

Thanks again.

Offline stefos

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 16:57 »
I downloaded 'Network Magic' which made me feel confident enough to think knew what I was doing   !?!  :roll:

Offline kevinho

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 10:07 »
All secure now  :) I used the Mcafee wireless home network security and it was a breeze.

It rotates the keys every so often and informs you if a computer is trying to gain access to your network. Allows you to add other pc's to your network easily, pretty much about everything i think. Easy and recommended.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 11:02 »
Sounds good Kevin but I think that for most users 64 bit wep is normally all you would need  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum