Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Upgrading a RAID1 Array  (Read 916 times)

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
Upgrading a RAID1 Array
« on: April 21, 2006, 15:23 »
What's the best way to replace the two 60GB drives in my RAID1 (mirrored) array with larger capacity ones?  Obviously, if I can avoid all the reinstall/re-registering nonsense associated with starting again from scratch I'd be a whole lot happier.

NB.  When two drives of different capactiy are used in rebuilding a mirrored array, the smaller of the two defines the available storage capacity.

So, can I simply swap out one of the old drives for a larger one and rebuild the array, then rebuild again from that drive onto the second of the larger drives, or would the system then still regard both of the new drives as having just ~60GB of storage?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Upgrading a RAID1 Array
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 15:28 »
Good question Rod  :roll:

Why not try it and see as it would be interesting to find out  :)

I would image the drive first though in case it went seriously wrong or didnt work as expected.

That way you could always use the image on the new larger drive then rebuild the array when you add the second one.

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
Upgrading a RAID1 Array
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 15:36 »
Just a simple matter of me finding the dosh for a couple of shiny new ones then, Sandra.  Thanks for your advice.  I'll keep you pested.   :wink:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Upgrading a RAID1 Array
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 15:43 »
One way you definately could do it is to get your bigger drives.
Disable the raid and replace your second drive with one of the new ones.
Partition the bigger drive so that you could save the original drives image to its second partition.

Set that new drive as a single master, restore the image from its second partition then delete that partition or repartition as required.
Then add your second new drive and set up the raid again.

No re-registering needed.

I would definately try just mirroring to the big drive first though in case I ever need to do that myself at some point in the future  :wink:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum