Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Upgrade help and advice  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Scotty_CFC

Upgrade help and advice
« on: April 30, 2006, 21:10 »
Hi, all

I'm looking to upgrade my PC as much as possible, the only thing holding me back is the fact that I have lost my XP disk, and I'm very reluctant to go buy another copy.

So basically my question is, what would i be able to upgrade without the XP disk, I would love to get a new MOBO, CPU and RAM, but I have a feeling that I wont be able access my harddrive again as I've heard that XP has a drastic anti piracy system that could prevent me accessing my harddisk. I also dont fancy spending ages on the phone to microsoft explaining why I used my CD has a coaster.

So what is your advice?

Thanks

Scotty

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Upgrade help and advice
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 22:23 »
I don't think the CPU and RAM will make any difference, but the motherboard might.  I have never done it myself, but I don't think the phone call to Micro$oft is all that terrible, from what I have heard.

However, I wouldn't personally attempt anything like this without a Windows XP CD, as you may run into trouble and need to recover, or re-install Windows.

You might find some useful information in our new Advanced Computer Maintenance section, particularly here, and here.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Upgrade help and advice
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 00:25 »
This isnt guaranteed to work but it has worked for me a couple of times yet failed on other occassions :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314082

You must add the file to the registry on your current pc before you install the drive in your upgraded pc as it needs to be running in windows before you you can add the file.

Offline Mac

• Established Member
Contacting Microsoft
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 08:18 »
Or you can give this a try.

REPLACING LOST, BROKEN, OR MISSING MICROSOFT SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE

Usually, if you replace the motherboard, a clean reinstall is called for.

Offline Scotty_CFC

Upgrade help and advice
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 09:35 »
I see, now that I thought about it, im just going to change processor and increase the memory.

Thanks for  the help  :)

Offline Scotty_CFC

Upgrade help and advice
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 09:59 »
Sorry, just one more question, can I change from Celeron to P4 as long as the FSB and Socket type match?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Upgrade help and advice
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 13:09 »
Yes you can, just make sure that the mobo or actually its the bios more correctly, supports the speed of your new CPU assuming that you will be getting a faster one than your current one.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum