Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Modem Problem  (Read 3375 times)

Offline renshaw8

Modem Problem
« on: May 14, 2006, 18:44 »
Can anyone tell me how to test my modem to tell me if I have a hardware problem or software problem. I have dial up and when I click to go online my modem does not start. Also I noticed that my telephone doesn't have a dial tone until I unplug my modem sometimes and if it does have a dial tone it gets louder when I unplug the modem. I found that if I plug in my phone line right after I click to go online, my modem will come on. There was a thunderstorm the night that this started and I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it. I have a Toshiba Satellite 1805-S203 laptop. Thanks...
f you watch the penny's, the dollars will watch themselfs.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Modem Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 00:56 »
Which OS are you using and is it just a 56k modem ?

Theres a diagnostic bit in the modem properties for 98SE, never used one on XP so not sure if it has the same but I would think it has.

The diagnostics will work to test the modem even without it plugged into the phone line and say if its installed and working ok.

Have you got the settings in dial up properties set to NOT wait for dialling tone before dialling, in case you have call waiting or BTs 1571 service on your phone ?

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
Modem Problem
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 02:08 »
If you have xp pro

go to start, control panel,phone and modem

click modems at top

click properties
click diagnotics
click query modem

it will tell you if its working or not

this all must be done while you are disconnected from the net
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline renshaw8

Modem Problem
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 08:16 »
I have Windows ME and I have "Wait for dial tone before dialing" checked. When I go to modem properties and diagnosis and click (more info) I get a message saying "port already open" when connected to net.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Modem Problem
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 12:00 »
Untick the wait for dial tone.

It wont detect it as a normal one if you have a message waiting.

Offline renshaw8

Modem Problem
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 03:39 »
I don't have call waiting and "wait for dial tone before dialing" has always been selected. I checked out device manager and my modem is on com port 3. Should I "ADD" my modem again and select port 1????

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Modem Problem
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 11:48 »
It doesnt usually reasign a com port by itself so if it has been working on Com 3 then thats probably the one it will use.

Com 1 is usualy a serial port.
Theres nothing to stop you installing it on all available com ports and then seeing if it will work properly on one when you select it to use that one but I should think Com 3 would be correct.

Just an idea, have you got the country set to UK ?

Offline renshaw8

Modem Problem
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 15:34 »
First of all, Thanks Sandra......I'm in US and have it set for here. While exploring my help section, it said that com 1 is my comm port so I was thinking that I should try that one. I hope I don't screw it up. I tried to dial out of my address book and I got a message that it was being used. Does that tell you anything?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Modem Problem
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 19:45 »
Didnt realise you were a colonial cousin  :blush:
As long as its set to your country that should be ok.

I just re read your original post.

I found that if I plug in my phone line right after I click to go online, my modem will come on.

Is it a built in modem or an external one ?

Does it actually connect and work ok at this point ?

Offline renshaw8

Modem Problem
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 01:22 »
The modem is a Toshiba built into my laptop. If I plug the phone line in right after I click to go online, I get a dial tone. If I just leave the phone line connected into my computer and try to go online there is no dial tone.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Modem Problem
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 01:42 »
Can you actually connect to the internet at all with that modem  :?

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Modem Problem
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 08:01 »
Just a thought, but do you use dsl filters (line splitters) in the US?  This is a little box which splits the phone line, so that phone calls can be made as well as being online.   You plug the modem into one socket, and the phone into the other, and the box then plugs into your phone line socket.  We have these in the UK, and I was just wondering, if you have them, whether yours may have developed a fault?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
Modem Problem
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 16:20 »
first question are you using aol?

do you have this computer connected to a hub?

when you try to use a hub with aol you will get the dial tone symptoms you describe
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline renshaw8

Modem Problem
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 06:53 »
Been away working but Sandra, I can get a dial tone if I plug the phone line in after I click to my Juno ISP. And Simon, I'm plugged right into my phone line. Davy, I have Juno and no hub. I'm pretty sure that I have a modem software or hardware problem but not sure which. I was thinking of "adding" my modem again but I'm afraid I'll screw it up so I can't get online at all. My help section says that COM 1 is my comm port and my modem is on COM 3 right now.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Modem Problem
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2006, 12:53 »
Quote from: "renshaw8"
, I can get a dial tone if I plug the phone line in after I click to my Juno ISP.

You keep saying that you can get the dial tone when you do as you describe but you still havent said if it actually connects to the internet when you can get the dial tone  :?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum