Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Removing Norton System Works  (Read 1519 times)

Offline JK

Removing Norton System Works
« on: May 25, 2006, 22:59 »
Hi
As part of my system upgrade from windows ME to XP I wonder if you could help me with the following.
When I purchased my PC it came with Norton System Works 2001. The only two components in it where the anti virus and the firewall. I did upgrade both the anti virus and the firewall, both installing themselves in the system works. At present my anti virus is Norton 2005 which is both in the system works and under a separate icon. The firewall is 2002 which is embedded in System Works, no seperate icon. I hope to upgrade the firewall soon.
I would like to know how I could remove the old system works and retain my anti virus and firewall software. Also to make sure that I do not loose
my update subscripition which resides in the system works package.
 :shock:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 09:50 »
I think you would be better off uninstalling the whole thing and starting again.  Norton can be notoriously fickle when uninstalling part components.  Use the Add / Remove Programs facility in Control Panel to uninstall System Works, which may or may not also uninstall the Anti Virus and Firewall components.  If not, you will have to uninstall those separately.  When you reinstall AV and Firewall, you should install AV first, and your subscription status should remain, or you may even get a new subscription for another year, if you're lucky.

I note that you are intending to do an upgrade to XP, rather than a clean installation, and I have to say that this is not as reliable as a clean XP installation, as it may carry forward any problems you have had with ME.  Have you considered doing a format and a new XP installation?  You may find, in the long run, that this is the easier option.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline JK

Norton
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 22:40 »
Hi Simon
Thank you for your advice, but there is software on my PC which I cannot reinstall after a clean XP installation. I will have to upgrade.
I have found that I cannot uninstall system works 2001 as when trying to do so causes an error message saying that an uninstaller file is missing.
161:Uninstall log folder not found
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\(Product CurrentVersion)\Uninstall log folder
I have purchased Norton firewall 2004 and installed it. I have found that the anti virus also appears with it, so I am ok with removing the system works, if only I could.
Another problem has appeared on my PC, noted it before the norton upgrade when trying out nortons security scan. My PC does not accept active x controls or files. My IE is set correctly any ideas? Only software change made recently was installing quicktime.
Thanks.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 23:36 »
Can I ask what would happen if something went wrong with the upgrade, and you were forced to do a clean installation of XP?  If I was in your position, I would be concerned that the problems with ME would be transferred to XP, if I were to merely upgrade.  

To attempt to answer your other questions, installing XP may rectify the Active X issue, as presumably, IE would automatically be reinstalled with the upgrade.  Otherwise, it's probably an IE setting, or perhaps you have some other security software blocking it?

Re System Works, my suggestion would be to reinstall it, then attempt to uninstall it again, on the basis that the reinstallation would hopefully replace the missing or corrupt uninstaller file.  Alternatively, you might want to try this removal tool from Symantec.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline JK

Norton
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 11:02 »
Thank you Simon
The removal tool worked fine.
There are no problems with my system running ME ,all the problems I am having are due to trying to upgrade. I am only having to upgrade as Microsoft is stopping support for ME in july and all the new software is XP only. I would rather stick with ME.
I cannot understand why the active x is unable to work as all settings appear to be correct.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Re: Norton
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 12:33 »
Quote from: "JK"
Thank you Simon
The removal tool worked fine.

Great!  :thumb:

Quote from: "JK"
There are no problems with my system running ME ,all the problems I am having are due to trying to upgrade.

Which is precisely why it's often better to start again with a clean slate - but I don't want to nag, obviously that is your decision.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum