Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: OK Come On Simon spill the beans  (Read 7117 times)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
OK Come On Simon spill the beans
« on: August 23, 2006, 16:29 »
right since I have been absent for a bit  :roll:  [but I still keep in contact with my lovely Lancashire Lass ]  I want to know what Bro has built himself since I have been absent ?
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 16:40 »
Sorry to disappoint, Bruv, but the last one must have been built too professionally, as it's still going strong!  :D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 16:52 »
:D  :D

thats funny I'm still on the same one from the same firm.......Chuck Brothers or something....... when was that  August /September  2002 ?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 16:56 »
Absolutely!  The only thing I have upgraded recently (today, in fact), is Mozilla 1.7.13 to Sea Monkey 1.0.4.  Stupid bloody name, but it's where Moz is going.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 17:06 »
I'm up grading a bit since I've just bought a new mini DV camcorder, and editing the files take up alot of resources. So far i've added a firewire card, ordered a dual layer DVD burner, and a 200GB HHD.

It could do with another 512MB of memory and a bigger CPU to be honest to cut the "rendering" time down.  [currently Athlon XP 2000+ l2 256 KB with on stick of 512MB DDR PC2700 memory

Do I go for a new board and CPU, or uprade to the board Bios max CPU Athlon XP 3000+ Barton core with a L2 512 KB. Still avaliable new on Ebay but in short supply and not cheap.  But I built a PC for a mate in 2003 with the Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, and it was fast compared to mine.

I reckon with the 3000+ I would be sorted for a long time as my normal requirements take little CPU resources and only around 300/350K in memory

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 17:09 »
Glad to hear you are alive and kicking Tony!    8-)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 17:13 »
:D old dogs and all that Clive.........

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 17:18 »
Quote from: "Simon"
Absolutely!  The only thing I have upgraded recently (today, in fact), is Mozilla 1.7.13 to Sea Monkey 1.0.4.  Stupid bloody name, but it's where Moz is going.

Sea Monkey....I'll have to have a look at it.....but I'm well happy with Firefox/ Thunderbird. Got these lovely plugins that Zap signatures.....Sandra's because it scares me to death when you run the mouse over it.  Mind you I've left Lona's alone because the music is well ......nice  :D ...How you doing you Old Scottish Broiler  :wink:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 17:47 »
Have to admit, I'm a but out of date with components and stuff.  I tend to work on a need to know basis.  When I want to upgrade, I'll need to know about Barton Core's.  ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 17:58 »
Bartons are already virtually obsolete Simon.

If you upgrade your mobo then I doubt that you would be going for a barton one now but they are ok for what Tony has in mind  :)

Its getting even more confusing now with Intels new core duo 2 as the actual processor speed is quite low yet it claims to be the fastest CPU ever   :?

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 18:32 »
but I still keep in contact with my lovely Lancashire Lass

What about your wee Scottish friend.  I was down to see you a few weeks ago and you never bothered your *rse coming to see me.  :wink:
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 19:07 »
I was car less you old crow [ borrowed from the Irn Bru advert] anyway a little birdie told me you wouldn't go out in a Air Conless car  :wink: or you could have come and seen me  :D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 19:27 »
Quote from: "Simon"
Have to admit, I'm a but out of date with components and stuff.  I tend to work on a need to know basis.
Me to Simon  

When I want to upgrade, I'll need to know about Barton Core's.  ;)

The "barton" core CPU's are no longer manufactured Simon, but they are the fastest CPU that you can fit on a Socket A board [which you and I have both got]

After you have reach MoBo upgradeabilty max, you have then to invest in a new MoBo if the max size of CPU ain't bigger enough for your needs.  And if you buy a new MoBo, do you go for one with PCI-Express of stay with the AGP slot offerings, otherwise  your into a new graphics card as well.

The 3000+ Barton route will  be the cheaper option, and as I don't use my PC for gaming, it will forfill my needs for many years to come.

Edit:

My PC will do all I need of it regards "rendering" video files as is, but the CPU is running at 100% and I'm just over my Free Memory at times. Meaning the time it takes the "rendering" process could be cut with more Free memory and a bigger CPU.  But there again  it ain't as if I'm doing loads of them. The actual editing takes very little resources, it's the file conversion [rendering] that takes the time.  Then when that is done its a quick burn to disk. So whilst the rendering is going on you just go and talk to the Wife.....or something like that  :D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 20:54 »
It's probably a question of part laziness, and part no longer having the spare time I used to.  If I were to try out a new PC, I expect I would be amazed at how much faster it was than mine, but at the moment, mine does all I want it to do, at a speed which is acceptable to me, so if it ain't broke... ;)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 09:27 »
Well I was having a rummage around my PC folder, and came across this little jem. It's a note to a guy who saw a PC I had just built for a friend, so he ordered one from me as well. Now this was exactly three years ago [August 2003] And just shows you how the spec and  component prices  have moved on, along with the then observations as to future needs.

Now I never go for the latest CPU's because the price premium is  horrendous. And what would a Dual layer DVD writer, and 200GB HHD costing £73 in total [delivered] today. Have cost back then if they had been avaliable ?

But like Simon sez, PC's built three years ago can still do a good job today. And  today £73 allows you to have a large HHD and a DVD burner upgrade. And possibly £26 on another half gig of DDR 333MHz Free Memory  [£65 back in  03, and £105 back in 02]

Hi Joe,

I have today ordered the components for your PC, but first I phoned Cath this morning to check you still wanted it, and she informed me that you made out the cheque for £500, you?re a bugger. Like I said if you?re a mate of Brookie?s I consider you as mate of mine. As I have received more from you than I agreed to build the computer for, you?ll just have to accept a higher spec PC from me.

I have ordered a more expensive motherboard to accept the very latest 8xAGP graphics cards, instead of one supporting 4X AGP like Brookie and I have in our PC?s. [AGP stands for Accelerated Graphics Processor]  

I have also upgraded the CPU size from an AMDXP2000+ to AMDXP2200+ Incidentally the new motherboard will take a XP3000+ CPU. No home PC needs a 3GB CPU, and in any case they are over 400% dearer yet only 50% bigger in Gigabyte capacity than a XP2000+  But they will not always be that price, the ?Boy Racer? mugs pay a premium just to have the latest biggest chip, even though they wont see any improvement in their games. I know a lad on a technical forum I?m a member of, he put in a new motherboard so he could doubled his CPU size [at great expense] and noticed no difference in the speed of his PC., it was on top of the job as it was, he he.

XP2000+ CPU?s are 43% cheaper today than they were when I bought mine last September, so when XP3000+ CPU?s come down from over £212 to say £50, you can consider upgrading to a bigger chip if you want, but a 2.2GB chip will handle anything you are likely to throw at it..

And last but not least, pointless upgrading to an 8xAGP motherboard, if we are installing a Radeon 7000 64MB DDR 4xAGP graphics card????so I?m putting in a Radeon 9100 128MB DDR 8xAGP graphics card. Now this graphics card is for serious gamers, it will kick ass as they say.  And any one wanting to do intensive graphics or photo editing will find this card makes the job that much faster, and DVD films will be that more pleasurable. Coupled with Abobe Photoshop version 7, the latest photo/graphical editing suite that the professionals use. You will have an excellent well balanced PC, capable of fulfilling your needs for years to come.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum