Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: BT Rural ADSL speed upgrade; dare I?  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Debs.

• Clever Collies
BT Rural ADSL speed upgrade; dare I?
« on: October 22, 2006, 09:39 »
Hi everyone!,
I currently enjoy a completely stable 512 Kb/s DSL connection via BT here in (very) rural N.Wales...My Safecom Gwart2-54125 modem/router hasn`t lost sync. once, since it arrived several months ago, so all is well!....but:

I recently received an email from BT offering an upgrade to a 'possible' 2 Mb/s on my line (which is <12 Km`s 'as catenary' from the exchange)....I remember reading accounts concerning rural Dynamic-DSL speed upgrades causing constant instability in connections, and now I wonder if it`d the right thing to risk the currently 'rock-solid' service for a 'possible' speed-gain, and perhaps several months of instability :cry:  
Am I being synical, or is the offer a way to get me to sign up for a new 12 month term with BT Broadband and the 'possible' speed increase is a ploy to tempt.....then perhaps, they`ll find that 2 Mb/s isn`t posssible for my long `ph. line after all, but then I would be tied to the 12 month contract.

Any thoughts.... :?:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 11:22 »
I'm also with BT Debs.  I think it all depends on what you are using your connection for.  If you are downloading lots of stuff then it may be worth it because the speeds really are much faster.  But for normal surfing then I honestly don't see my 4.5Mb any better than my original 512K.  In fact. it's often much worse because of the instability.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 11:22 »
My experience of this is negative, I'm afraid.  I had a rock solid 1Mb connection, but decided to move to another ISP, with more competitive prices for the same service.  However, when I rang for the MAC code, my current ISP convinced me that I could receive "up to" 8Mb on my phone line, should I stay with them and upgrade to their Max package, at just £1 per month more then I was paying at the time.  The temptation was too great, and it was also a lot easier to stay than to go, so, with hindsight, stupidly, I agreed to the "upgrade", and to a further year's contract.

On the day of my upgrade, my connection speed suddenly shot up to 5.8Mb!!  However, as I expected, there is a stabilisation period of about 10 days, while BT's software configures the best stable line speed, and my connection kept dropping, and also slowing at each reconnection, until about 2 hours later, when it seemed to stabilise at about 4.1Mb.  This would have been great had it remained that way, however, over the next few weeks, my line speed gradually reduced and reduced more, and I am now connecting at a pathetic average of about 1.2Mb.  I have been onto my ISP several times, each time having to wait up to 40 minutes in a call queue, and they have raised the issue with BT, but have now admitted my line was never capable of speeds over 5Mb, and realistically, I should consider anything over 2Mb as bonus!  BT are supposed to be upgrading my exchange during November, so I am now waiting to see the outcome of this. but at the moment, I feel totally stitched up, and am only getting a barely significant increase in my line speed, and am paying £1 per month more for it, when I could have gone to another ISP and saved about half the cost.

Don't let me put you off, Debs, this is just my experience, but I would advise extreme caution where the words "up to" and "possible" are used.  My ISP promised what they could not possibly deliver, in order to retain me as a customer, and I fell for it.  I could "possibly" win "up to" £1Million on the lottery, but if I spent £1000 on tickets and didn't win, I wouldn't have any recourse, because there were no guarantees that I would win.  Broadband is an extremely competitive market, and, in my opinion, the ISPs will do anything to retain customers.  "Up to", "possibly" and "estimated" mean jack sh*t when it comes to ISPs delivering the services they advertise, but is an excellent escape route for them, when services don't live up to customer expectations.

I'm not saying that slow line speeds are always the fault of the ISPs, but they should not deceive customers with promises they cannot possibly deliver, using "up to", "possibly" and "estimated" as a get out clause.  I'm not saying don't do it, Debs, just be careful.  I still have a rock solid connection, but I was fooled into signing up for another year with my ISP, having been led to believe I could receive a much faster connection, at a time when it was never possible.

I should also clarify that my ISP is NOT BT, so they, if anyone, should be able to judge more accurately what services they can provide, and at least you should have some comeback if it all goes wrong.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 15:56 »
This test seems to work as i have tried it with my number and another which is a couple of miles away on the same exchange.

It does give you the maximum for where you are which you'd be lucky to achieve as it says i could get 8MB when i've never seen over 7MB  :dunno:

My friends number who is in the next village and is around 2 miles further away roughly has him down for 3.5MB

I'd guess to knock off 1MB from what it says to give you a rough actual estimate

LINK

Offline Debs.

• Clever Collies
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 22:15 »
Thanks for the views about this; Clive, Simon and Cammy  :)
I really think what (really) matters to me with my DSL connection is complete stability/reliability, not really so much for the higher speeds on 'possible' offer.

I think I`ll stick with the BT 512 Kb/s service pro-tem....and see what prices do over the next couple of months....Currently I`m paying £17.99/Month and `am clear of any tie-in clauses, so I`m sure I could do better with another ISP....but, ATM there seems only to be Orange/Wanadoo on offer as an alternate in this (upland) exchange area, and they seem to be in the news for all the wrong reasons of late!  :cry:

I did try the speed test Cammy, and it says 2Mb for my line....so with your caveat about subtracting 1Mb (for real world speed) that`d leave me with 1Mb/s....so, there`d not exactly be a Tsunami of bandwidth arriving here then? :D

Thanks again guys!

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum