Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Keyboard missing  (Read 1261 times)

Offline JK

Keyboard missing
« on: November 10, 2006, 21:00 »
Hi
I sometimes get the keyboard missing message on boot up. Unplug, plug back in and reboot and all works well. Sometimes it works for weeks, other times have to do it each day. It is a wireless keyboard with ps2 connection. It's not the keyboard battery. :dunno:
Great new look on the site.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: Keyboard missing
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 22:18 »
I had exactly the same intermittent problem with a computer I owned a few years back.  "Press F1 to continue" it said.   :D  Strangely, that would usually coax it into life.  But eventually I just replaced the keyboard with an old one I had in a cupboard in my garage and the problem disappeared.  I've since had several replacement computers but this keyboard just goes on and o

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 00:01 »
Sorry, this doesn't answer your question, JK, but I have to say, I fail to see the point of wireless keyboards and mice.  You have to keep replacing batteries, and it's not as though you can move them away from the computer screen anyway.  I would guess that, in your case, something might be intermittently blocking the signal between the keyboard and the wireless receiver.  Something else which emits a signal, perhaps a mobile phone?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline JK

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 10:38 »
Simon
It's only the keyboard that is wireless and I have only changed the batteries once in several years.
The computer is saying that it does not see the receiver unit which is plugged into the ps2 port.

Thanks

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 10:48 »
You need to identify if its a false message or if the keyboard really isnt being detected on boot up.

Go into the bios and change the Halt on All Errors to Halt on No Errors.

Some people have it set at Halt on Keyboard Errors Only.

If the keyboard still isnt actually detected when the pc is in windows then its possibly worth disabling the quick boot option in the bios.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 10:50 »
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline JK

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 22:53 »
It appears to depend on how I need to use the PC. If I need to use it the keyboard is missing, if not it boots up ok. Now I remove my keyboard and plug back in before turning on. This appears to be the only answer.
I wish I could know the real reason why?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum