Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Dell Laptop Problems  (Read 2898 times)

Offline jase.2

Dell Laptop Problems
« on: November 11, 2006, 16:36 »
Guys

Hoping someone can offer me some views on the multiple problems im having with a new dell inspirion laptop as im getting no where with dell technical support as they cant understand english.

My main problems are

1. The laptop sometimes connects to my existing wireless network and sometimes doesnt, however if i take the laptop to the router it connects every time, its not the makeup of my house as my old dell laptop (which i broke) and a 6yr old toshiba laptop both connect every time from my lounge , this new Dell sometimes does sometimes doesnt. This is actually the second 6400 ive had as the first one would never connect to the wireless unless the laptop was right beside the router so dell replaced it, this one is better but id still like it to connect every time.

2. After ive been using the web for a couple of hours the laptop will not react to me clicking on links and simply opens a blank window at best, when it does this the "start , turn off computer, shutdown or restart does nothing meaning i have to use the on off switch to get it working again , when i switch back on its fine for another couple of hours. During this time when i press "alt and tab" instead of showing me in a small window which windows are open , the use of "alt and tab" maximises every window one by one then minimises them, very very annoying and particularly bad if your in the middle of something and have to switch the laptop off.

3. Sometimes websites ive been to before give me "page cannot be disaplayed" messages despite friends being able to access these websites at the same time , so obviously not the website but something on my laptop / network giving the problems.

There is so much dell rubbish on the laptop it wouldnt surprise me if the problems were related to all the software they have put on but not being an expert i dont want to start deleting things without being sure.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jase

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
Re: Dell Laptop Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 17:12 »
All of those issues are related to your wireless card getting a low signal from your router. Laptop wireless mini pci cards are not all made the same. Some are stronger than others. Chances are you have a weak card.

The solution I would suggest is going to your local department store and picking up a Wireless notebook adapter. If the laptop is still under warranty then call dell up and ask if they can do anything about it. They might send you a card for free. .... well maybe   :-\

Heres one at amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WPC54G-Wireless-G-Notebook-Adapter/dp/B00007KDVK

Offline jase.2

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 17:22 »
Thanks for that, problem tho is that the Dell Inspirion 6400 doesnt have a PCMCIA card slot , it uses express card slot which no one in the UK sells and i wouldnt want to really use express card until it becomes the technology everyone uses.

I actually have a wireless card in my old toshiba laptop but because of express card slot cant use it in this laptop which is a right pain.

The router is in a bedroom which is directly above the room i usually use this laptop on so as i said to dell id find it hard to believe their laptop cant pick up a signal from one floor above particularly as its a new build house.

Any other ideas would be great

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 18:45 »
Hi Jase, and  :welcome:

Just a shot in the dark, but you could try moving any other wiring as far away as possible from the router antenna, or even try moving the router to a more open position.  It might just make the signal a bit stronger.  It might be worthwhile seeing if there are any other compatible wireless cards for your laptop, as the chances are, Dell didn't give you the highest quality available.  I'm not sure, but I think some also have better ranges than others.  A fair range, at reasonable prices can be found at Play.com
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 18:48 »
Have you tried turning off WEP and using it unsecured temporarily.

I have heard that WEP can reduce the performance of Wi Fi and if it works ok on an unencrypted connection then it would reinforce Bobs idea about the card not being good enough.

If it is the cards fault and as you said that you cant fit a pcmcia card in your laptop then how about trying a USB Wi Fi dongle ?

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 19:30 »
you are right sandra for wep it requires you to have a higher signal strength to work.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline jase.2

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 19:53 »
Thanks for the suggestions guys i really appreciate it   ;D

Ill try and move the router first, however when the laptop does connect to mine it also shows the routers of half the street which would back up the theory that its the card strength rather than the router as im getting this all or nothing thing rather than it being the build of my house etc.

I wouldnt tho have a clue how to get the internal card out the laptop and replace it without breaking the whole thing hehe so i might just need to put up with it or get the usb version although with a new laptop i shouldnt need to put up with the problems and would expect dell(as this is the second laptop dell have sent) to be aware of problems with this model picking up wifi signal but it seems all new to them although comms are a problem with their indian call centres  ???

Would it make any difference as my router is 802.11 B rather than G?

I havent yet tried to explain the blank webpages / links not working after a couple of hours or the alt / tab doing things it shouldnt do to dell yet as wasnt sure if it was connected to the wifi , lord knows how ill manage to get them to understand what the issue with these two is lol

Thanks for the help again

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 23:09 »
B is a lower mbps rate than G and usually the farther away the laptop is from the router the speed drops proportionately.
So if you are starting off with a max of 11 or maybe 22mbps on B then it will get weaker and slower than a G which is starting at 54 or 108mbps.

Web pages not opening, providing that its not the Wi Fi connection problem, is usually down to the firewall, either on the laptop or even possibly in the router.

Offline jase.2

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 16:31 »
Guys

I tried to unsecure the laptop but it seemed to make no difference with me still getting a very unreliable wifi connection at start up of the laptop.

I moved the router away from other wired and put it on the floor of the room its in which is directly above the room i generally use the laptop in and again no noticable difference in me getting first time connection.

Earlier on today it wouldnt connect and as i just kept pressing refresh on the network list it not only found my router but also another two wifi networks which must be within my street which were both secure "G" networks, im assuming that clears my "B" router from being part of the issue??

Im really at a loss where to go here particularly as its the second laptop dell have sent and the first one had its wifi card changed twice, motherboard changed once and the lid (where i believe the ariel is) changed once so im thinking if they change it again ill just get the same problems  ??? ??? ???

Another problem ive noticed is that occassionally it wont let me click on links and just doesnt respond , when this happens the bottom left of the toolbar shows "done with errors" and sometimes showings javascipt void, any ideas what that could be??

Really appreciate the assistance.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 16:41 »
Another problem ive noticed is that occassionally it wont let me click on links and just doesnt respond , when this happens the bottom left of the toolbar shows "done with errors" and sometimes showings javascipt void, any ideas what that could be??

That just happens sometimes.  It could be an error on the webpage, or perhaps a browser setting.  Are you using IE or another browser?  I suppose it's possible, but in my unprofessional opinion, I wouldn't say this is connected to the wireless issue.

What make is your router?  Have you tried resetting it?  I know it sounds implausible, given that you can 'see' other routers in the street, but just to fully eliminate some sort of signal interference, have you tried connecting with the laptop right next to the router?

Sorry I can't be any more help - perhaps Sandra will have some other ideas.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline jase.2

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 16:51 »
Simon, thanks for the information.

I use IE7 , i upgraded to that when i found IE6 was doing the same.

Back to the router its a BT IG1800 router made by 2wire, when i take the laptop next to it (this applies to both the original and the new one) it connects no problem first time every time but my 6 yr old toshiba windows me laptop and the old dell 1100 that i broke (i bought the 6400 to replace the broken one) connected first time every time from the same place these new dell laptops wont.

As far as the other routers in the street go i either find them with my BT router at the same time or i more often than not get neither, so its kind of nothing or half the street including mine that i get offered to connect to. If it was my router thats the problem id surely pick up the rest of the street but not mine?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 17:36 »
It still points to a poor signal either from the router itself, or to the network card, Jase.  If other laptops connect from the same position, it must still indicate a poor quality network card, or one with a low range.  The only way to eliminate that possibility is to replace it, or try a USB dongle, as Sandra suggested.

Offline jase.2

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 19:58 »
Thanks Simon ill have a look and see if i can pick one up

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 20:59 »
As I posted earlier in the thread, you can find a fair range, at reasonable prices at Play.com.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 00:15 »
It has to be the laptops wi fi, a usb dongle can be bought very cheaply these days and that would hopefully fix it.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum