Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: googles gmail  (Read 1400 times)

Offline sharon159

googles gmail
« on: December 26, 2006, 02:21 »
anyone have gmail and what are your thoughts?

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
Re: googles gmail
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 02:48 »
I have a gmail account

It has worked fine for me

some have had different problems with it

but as i say it has worked fine for me
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 12:28 »
I have a gmail account, which I use mostly for signing up on forums, etc.  I find it's a good service, and I use the POP3 facility, but anyone signing up should pay attention to the privacy policy.  When using the webmail service, targetted ads appear on the site, based on Google's software scanning parts of your emails.  It may not be something to worry about, but just to be aware of.

Google Mail isn't a traditional webmail account. There are no pop-ups, untargeted banner ads or warnings urging you to buy more storage. Google Mail, however, will often place a few highly relevant, text ads adjacent to the body of your email. You'll also see links to related web pages you might find of interest.

These ads and links are displayed automatically using the same technology that powers our AdSense system, which delivers targeted ads to thousands of sites across the web. Computers scan the text on a given page, perform a mathematical analysis on it and match it to ads in our extensive database. No humans are involved in this process and no one reads your mail. You may find that hard to believe when you see how closely the ads match the topic of your message.

Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 00:38 »
i use it a huge amount, well I use lots and lots of google's service, from their calendar to maps to online document writing (yep they have a word processing tool and spreadsheets).... I love google and gmail is so easy and nice to use, I really think their webinterface is the best I have ever come across and would be nice to see in a desktop equivalent in a sense
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum