Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Pipex up for sale?  (Read 987 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Pipex up for sale?
« on: January 16, 2007, 14:43 »
Pipex customers face an uncertain future as rumours circulating today suggest that the company is about to be put up for sale.

According to a report in today's Times newspaper, Pipex, the fifth largest ISP in the UK, is about to be bought out.

The article names BT, Sky and the Carphone Warehouse as potential buyers for the business, which is reckoned to be worth about £400m. Pipex has some 560,000 broadband customers in the UK and could become a kingmaker in the battle for dominance of the DSL market.

Pipex itself has acquired a number of ISPs over the years, including Freedom2Surf, Bulldog and Toucan.

Web User will bring you further information as we receive it.

http://www.pipex.co.uk/

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Pipex up for sale?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 16:12 »
Well, they couldn't get any worse!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 17:23 »
haha, you will rue that comment simon
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 17:59 »
I'm only waiting for my contract to expire, then they won't see me for dust.  Still got 7 months to run, unfortunately, unless, of course, they are bought out, and the new company has different terms.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 22:59 »
im the same with 3 mobile, signal is awful
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 00:52 »
I have been wondering whether to change recently, nothing to complain about with Pipex service but its annoying when long term customers dont get the same benefits as new sign ups.
I am still on 1mb for £23-44 per month which is a bit expensive these days for that speed.

BeThere came into my area in mid decmber and are offering up to 24mb downloads for £24 per month.

I rang them for a speed check and they say I should get around 16mb down and over 1 mb up  :)

Theres no POP3 email or webspace included, thats another £2 per month, so I am looking at alternatives to that before I decide.
Everything I have read about them since around last july seems to be positive although prior to that some people had a few problems.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 01:29 »
You are in the lucky position where you can ditch them when you like, Sandra.  I am also still on around 1mb, having supposedly been upgraded to Max!

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 08:08 »
I'm getting 4.5Mb a month for not much more than that Sandra.  It includes pop3 account, free Nortons, free antispam and other goodies.  And far be it from me to sing the praises of BT.  ::)

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 10:21 »
b******s!

I switched from Pipex to Bulldog because it was a better deal with no fair usage policy, only to find myself back with Pipex when they bought Bulldog! I must say that although many people do not like Bulldog, I have had a good stable connection, and no problems. There Customer Service is poor, but you can get over that.

When Pipex took over we remained on the same contract, but now it seems we are set to be messed about again!!

:bawl: :bawl:
if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum