Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Dell Dimension E520 RAM  (Read 2061 times)

Offline dnf999

Dell Dimension E520 RAM
« on: March 06, 2007, 22:35 »
Hi I Just purchased:

Ebuyer 1GB DDR2 533MHz PC2-4200 240pin Extra Value Ram

for my Dell Dimension E520 PC and it doesn't work.  I think I may have purchased the wrong RAM...?

If i insert the 1gb ram by itself it does not work...should it? (the receipt said (2 x512) 533 Mhz DDR2 Ram)

The current RAM is 2x 512Mb PC2-5300U 

Is the problem that:
1) I have bought the wrong RAM (should have bought PC2-5300 rather than PC2-4200)   
or
2) YOu cannot mix memory quantities (i.e. you can only have all 4 slots with 512mb, and can't mix with 1gb ram)??

Can i configure the CMOS to incorporate both types? or would I be playing with fire?

Please let me know asap as I will need to return the RAM if I purchased the incorrect one.

Thanks in advance!!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 22:39 by dnf999 »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Dell Dimension E520 RAM
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 23:20 »
You could try the Crucial.com System Scanner, which should determine what memory is compatible with your machine, and that will tell you whether you've bought the correct memory or not.  This doesn't commit you to any purchase.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 00:38 »
Normally that ram would work but it would run at PC2-4200 and if used with the PC2-5300 it will drop the speed of that to PC2-4200.

You shoud be able to mix the sizes of ram without any problems but the PC will only run in whats called Dual Channel if it has the same size and type of ram in the relevant slots, thats if your motherboard/bios supports dual channel ram.

Unfortunately it sounds as if the make of ram that you have bought is incompatable with your particular motherboard  :(

Offline dnf999

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 00:43 »
Thanks for the reply....guess it's time for a refund.

How can i tell if my motherboard can support dual channel RAM?  How can I tell what my motherboard is?  I assume it's a standard Dell factory one..

Currently it has (in this order) 1 white slot, 1 black, 1 white, 1 black  Ram slots.

Thanks!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 00:53 »
The colours of the slots like yours are usually a sign that it will take dual channel ram.

The alternating slots of the same colour will be one channel and the alternating slots of the different colour will be another channel.
There is an increase in performance when the same amount of ram is used in dual channel mode as opposed to just being installed as single channel.
The bios should automatically detect that it is configured for dual channel and set it to use that mode.

There are a couple of free programs that you can download and install that should identify your motherboard if you cant see the actual make and model number on the motherboard inside the pc.
Google for Everest and Aida.
The manual that should have come with the PC may also tell you which motherboard you have.

If you decide to do as Simon said and buy via Crucial then I think it can scan your pc and identify which motherboard and ram you have already and which it will take.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum