Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Setting up wireless network  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Jo

Setting up wireless network
« on: April 01, 2007, 17:00 »
Hello.
I'm about to move house and there is only one phone socket in the house (in the lounge downstairs). I'll want to be connected to the internet on the PC upstairs and don't want lots of extension cables, so am I right in thinking that the answer is to buy a wireless router (have been looking at the Netgear DG834PN Rangemax) and a wireless USB adapter to plug into the back of my PC?  I believe the router plugs into the phone socket downstairs and then the PC upstairs should connect via the wireless signal.  I'm checking because a few websites have implied that you have to have one PC directly wired to the router...but I didn't think this was the case (and hope it's not or I'm stuffed!).

Many thanks. :D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: Setting up wireless network
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 22:22 »
Its not essential to have a pc hard wired but it does make setting up wi fi on other pcs easier if is connected by ethernet.

You need to access the router through its web ip address and set up the wi fi encryption.
This can be awkward doing it from a wi fi connected pc alone.

The easiest way would probably be to connect your pc to the router by ethernet cable and then set the wi fi connection up and encrypt it before moving the pc upstairs and then connecting by wi fi alone.

Offline Jo

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 23:12 »
That's great.  Thanks for that.  In that case I think I'll buy the router now before I move and set it up whilst it is next to the PC (as I have a phone line upstairs now).  I'll also set up a laptop with wi-fi access before I go.  Will I have to change many settings once I'm in the new house or should it ok?  ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 00:29 »
As long as you are with the same ISP and use the same password and username then it wont know which house its in  :)

If you change ISP or they give you a new username and password for some reason then you will have to put the new username and password in the WAN part of the router.

Offline Jo

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 11:13 »
Many thanks for your help Sandra    :D

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 17:19 »
This one may be worth considering if you haven't already bought one Jo...

http://www.hotukdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?p=458113

Offline Jo

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 15:48 »
Well...I bought a wireless router and went to set it up today...then realised my PC's so ancient that there's no ethernet port on it!     ::)

Am I right in thinking I could connect the laptop to the router to set it all up, then disconnect it and connect the PC and the laptop wirelessly (I bought a USB wireless adapter for the PC anyway).

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 20:53 »
Sounds do able to me........................suck it and see, then you will have your answer  ;D
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 00:47 »
Yes that should work as long as somethings hard wired to set the connections up initially  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum