Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Free anti-rootkit program launched  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Free anti-rootkit program launched
« on: April 10, 2007, 23:16 »
Grisoft, makers of the popular free AVG Anti-Virus program, have launched a new anti-rootkit application.

AVG Anti-Rootkit will prevent users from unintentionally installing rootkits on their PCs. Rootkits are pieces of software that are often used to ensure that you can't make unauthorised copies of some media files, while hiding themselves on your system so they can't be disabled or removed.

?Rootkits are computer code that attempt to hide their actions and processes, making the job of detecting the code and the harmful processes very difficult,? said Larry Bridwell of Grisoft.

Rootkits first came into the public consciousness when Sony's copy-protection software, a rootkit itself, was exploited by malicious hackers to gain access to some PCs without their owner's knowledge.

?AVG Anti-Rootkit is developed to detect and destroy rootkits effectively, without bothering users with false alarms,? said Bridwell.

http://www.grisoft.com/

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Re: Free anti-rootkit program launched
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 00:31 »
There's another free anti-rootkit from Sophos that I've been using happily for some time.

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Free anti-rootkit program launched
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 08:54 »
I had been using their older version (1.0.0.13) since september of last year, I wasn't able to update it, but have now replaced it with this one. :thumb:
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum