Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Microsoft Surface.  (Read 831 times)

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Microsoft Surface.
« on: June 02, 2007, 09:58 »
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Microsoft Surface.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 10:06 »
Cool!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 12:26 »
yep it does look great... has a bit of a mac feel to it... just watch you don't drop your coffee on it! This would be rather useful in the astronomy labs I use (we have a backlit star field and make measurements - could do this all automated with computer software, now that would be cool). I wonder if they will make keyboard-type devices that are just an addon to a normal machine, that would be rather useful.

This also reminds me of the cool interface my nintendo ds has on it...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 03:00 »
They were saying that the reason they didn't have a touch screen keyboard was because people couldn't find the keys. I don't understand why they don't just put little braille touch markers for the home row keys like there are on a regular keyboard. The F and J on mine have one little dot in the corner so i can find the keys in the dark. It wouldn't take away from the overall experience to have eight tiny braille dots along the bottom of the screen.

I think the real reason they don't have a touch screen keyboard is because they know people would wear out the screen rather quickly tapping on it all the time.

Edit

This is a direct child of startrek. I think the reason they developed it is because this is what everyone thinks the computer of the future will resemble. If microsoft spits something close to it out, the idea can then be refined and improved upon. I think the future will look nothing like startrek. I don't think computers will be interfaced with physically. Imagine controlling your car while talking on the phone both through a neural implant. I think the computer of the future will be used through a visual GUI displayed through controlled hallucination.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 03:07 by Bobscrachy »

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 08:29 »
interesting thoughts bob.

I'd definetly say it is a microsoft gimmick to try and look "cool" again. They have kinda lost that "wow factor" to apple and vista has helped with that. they want something that is microsoft defining, like the way mac's all look so damn nice (not sure about the white plastic ones), that is instantly recognisable.. if you were to see most computers you would not neccesarily know it was microsoft, with this you do.

It might not be the future, but I think it will be rather cool.. but not at the prices they are talking about
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 08:58 »
Well I might have gone a bit far with that last bit. ;) I read that in a book a few years back. It sounded really plausible to me. It definitely sounds more efficient then todays computers.

I don't know that this was originally intended to be a matter of competition for microsoft. I think this has been one of bill's personal projects for along time. He's been trying to bring smart home tech into the public view for a while now. This is just one of those stepping stones to its realization. All of the guys that originally helped create microsoft became filthy rich and each one has their own little pet project. I think one is funding private space flight and i think another flew up into space in a russian rocket not to long ago. This is just one of bill's side hobbies.

M$ looked cool before??   :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 09:02 by Bobscrachy »

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 09:17 »
M$ looked cool before??

yeah what was i implying  :blush:

.. oh and you are right, yep they all have their own side projects (one of the guys was majorily involved in the xprize).
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum