Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Compatibility of Utility Freebies  (Read 1008 times)

Offline MD8383

Compatibility of Utility Freebies
« on: June 14, 2007, 20:46 »
Anyone know if useful freeby utility programmes like Everest, Speedfan, PC-Wizard, Siw.exe, cpu-z, Belarc advisor etc are compatible with Vista (to measure temperature of drives etc)?
Also, if spybot & adaware add anything to defender, if compatible?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Compatibility of Utility Freebies
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 22:03 »
Windows Defender doesn't have that good a reputation on other forums, in that it's detection rate seems to be lacking, compared to some other protection utilities.  I wouldn't think you would have any problems running SpyBot and Ad Aware in addition to WD.  Generally, a machine can run multiple spyware scanners quite harmoniously.  It's when you come to anti-virus and firewall utilities that you can run into trouble having more than one of each active simultaneously.  Can't comment on the rest - my suggestion would be to check the vendors websites to see if they are Vista compatible.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 06:54 »
Mr MD8383

Using Everest here on Vista Ultimate and working ok, & CPU-Z works just fine.

TR

Offline MD8383

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 20:06 »
Thanks, guys.
Now run Everest Home and it gives same temperatures for hdd and external drive as diskcheckup, which I knew was Vista compatible but was unsure of its acuracy.
Would now like some utility to clean things up, like Tuneup Utilities or NSW, which don't like Vista!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 20:08 by MD8383 »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 20:14 »
There is actually a link in this thread, which details Vista compatible software, so you may find that useful to browse through.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline MD8383

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 23:19 »
I don't know why, but I tried the link several times previously and it was incredibly slow to open- so much so, that I gave up!
Having said that, it just opened!
Still useful to have personal recommendations of freebies, though- like that of TR.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum