Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Setting up a remote security camera; with no internet access.  (Read 1179 times)

Offline thegallery

I'd love to have wireless internet for this issue as I'll I'd need to do is get a hold of a couple of wireless network cameras..
My brother has a network cam that will send him an email or text message if the motion sensor is activated. Plus, it will record, save and send him the video too.

So I'd like to do something similar, but I don't have internet access, and I don't want to spend a ton of money. I have a spare old computer and I'm wondering if there are some cameras and or software package that will do the same thing.

As I'm typing I'm realizing I may be able to do the same thing as my brother's setup with some wired network cams, it just could not send the video to a remote location...

Anyone have any thoughts? Tks

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
I had a friend that setup x10 cameras all over his apartment complex when he was having trouble with tools disappearing in his garage. He bought his from a computer parts distributer, but i'm sure you can find x10 equipment anywhere for fairly cheap. He set it up to where the little AA powered motion sensor would wirelessly set off the wireless camera and send a video stream to the vcr inside his apartment. He would have the neighborhood cats setting the thing off at 4 am and such. When he caught them stealing his stuff he grabbed his 9mm and went up stairs and said if he caught them again there would be hell to pay. It was actually quite funny to watch.

Here's the x10 site.
http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 00:57 by Bobscrachy »

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Maplins may be a good place to start searching in the UK. 

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum