Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Who killed the electric car  (Read 1174 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Who killed the electric car
« on: June 22, 2007, 12:11 »
In 1996 electric cars cars begin to appear on the roads all over California. They were quiet and fast, produced no exhaust and ran without gasoline.

http://www.whokilledtheelectriccar.com/

I watched this the other day... made me actually want to get my arse in gear and learn to drive so I could use one of these... alas they haven't taken off (due to the car companies) :-( It is quite interesting and though they mention the climate change arguement they really don't push this, it is gently enforced at times - they really promote that this is cheaper (and better for the air we breathe).
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: Who killed the electric car
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 13:49 »
Back in the early 70's we used to believe that we would all be driving electric cars by the turn of the century.  I used to work for an oil company and every month the in-house magazine would feature articles on electric cars and delight in the fact that the oil companies were leading the way in research and technology.  Shell in particular had designed a city car that would revolutionise transport and BP were hot on their heels.  Of course none of this materialised because the oil companies became more clever at finding oil, particularly under the sea, and it seemed daft not to maximise profits by recovering it.  The car manufacturers also had a vested interest in keeping the status quo because they have an enormous workforce manufacturing engines and precision engine parts.  Electric engines are much simpler and would be manufactured by electrical companies.  Don't forget that Hoover made the engines for the Sinclair C5.   ;D

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Who killed the electric car
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 00:40 »
tis such a shame really, cause electric cars would be great in the city.. I also found out that it was GM who killed the trams in california, by buying the company out and running it to the ground... argh!
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum