Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Western Digital 60GB Passport  (Read 2541 times)

Offline DJ

• Established Member
Western Digital 60GB Passport
« on: July 22, 2007, 16:03 »
Hi!

My IBM laptop is nearing its capacity and as I can't afford to buy a new laptop at the moment (and I'm waiting to see what Apple reveal on Aug 7th), I was looking at buying one of these....

WD 60GB Passport - Amazon

I intend to transfer my iTunes library onto it (around 15gb), my laptop HD capacity is only 30GB.

Anyone got any experiance of these? and how it will work with USB1.1? I'm not too sure if I have USB2.0 - is there an easy way to check?

Thanks

DJ

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Western Digital 60GB Passport
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 17:36 »
I have one for my PC, and it just acts as an extra drive, DJ.  Plug the USB in, and Windows should recognise it, then it will appear in My Computer as the next available drive letter.  It's then just a question of dragging / dropping or copying / pasting what you need to transfer.  As far as USB 1.1  / 2.0, hopefully someone will confirm this, but I think it will work, as USB 2.0 is backwards compatible.  You just may not get quite the same transfer rate speed by connecting to a 1.1 port.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 19:24 »
i have various WD external hard drives, not this model (I have a 300gb one and a 500gb one)... and they are all great, nice backup software included normally as well.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 21:30 »
Thats pretty cheap for a little external usb drive. Its a neat little toy. I bet you could crack it open and mount a laptop to ide adapter and hook up spare ide hard drives to it.

I use an enclosure to turn my spare hds into little usb backup drives.

http://www.directron.com/35559.html

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 21:52 »
thats a quite nice looking one bob... I use similar but I still prefer the no case option - I have an ide to usb cable and power it up... means I can do the swap over for backups pretty quickly.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 13:51 »
Well I've bought one now, but not transferred my itunes library onto it.  Just using it for file transfer and backups.

Will wait and see what Apple release on the 7th August - to see if I change my laptop to a new macbook or wait a while still.

DJ

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 19:25 »
thats a quite nice looking one bob... I use similar but I still prefer the no case option - I have an ide to usb cable and power it up... means I can do the swap over for backups pretty quickly.

My friend pete has the ide to usb "out of the box" adapters too. He got those because he said his first box encloser bit the dust in the first week. Personally, I've seen how easy it is to drop a hard drive off the desk. I wanted something that was a little more stable and that i could sit on the floor and not worry about. I tend to have alot of junk on my desk so having the box gives me a little more peace of mind.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum