Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: monitor question  (Read 4594 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: monitor question
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2007, 07:41 »
.. and I'm wondering what part of the law this is from - cant say I have ever really read any consumer laws!
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 09:46 »
As I said, I don't know how clued up the guy is, and I've never heard that interpretation of the law before, so it could just be BS.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 10:11 »
hi all, remember this post about my dodgy monitor......well the new one has a strange "feature"  when I shut down the system it seems the monitor dosent go into standby mode but gives a 'no signal' message (which seems normal) then flashes through loads of coloured screens until I turn it off  :dunno:   :)

its not any bother but Ive never seen it before.

also to save starting a new thread  anyone have any ideas on this.  I have some front audio connections on my system but when I try to set it up to use the headphones it doesnt cut off the rear panel so I get sound out of both at the same time. The only way I can get it to work is to get down under the table and turn off the speakers at the back. I do get a message when setting the options in the sound feature control panel saying, 'JD function only work with HD audio front panel'. I guess its to do with that

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 11:18 »
That sounds like another faulty monitor, I'm afraid. It should go into standby once it detects 'no signal', and it clearly isn't.

What sound card are you using?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 11:43 »
onboard sound Rik. MSI K9VGM-V mobo. I think its Realtek audio.

not what I wanted to hear about the monitor though, I can put up with it though.

Thanks for the reply

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2007, 11:53 »
The Sale of Goods Act is quite clear on retailer responsibility. Unfortunately, almost all retailers will refer you to the manufacturer, many of whom have a swap out warranty policy. Most consumers opt for this as it's more convenient than having the retailer organise the repair, leaving us with no monitor.

Nonetheless, the liability is still on the retailer, and as this is the second one to fail, you might want to tackle them again. When I has a similar problem with a Viewsonic monitor, Scan agreed to take it back, give me a refund and sell me a new monitor (Eizo). They arranged for the new one to arrive the day before they collected the Viewsonic, to minimise inconvenience.

Don't have any knowledge of the sound card, sorry. :(
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2007, 14:06 »
strange one this. have now tried the 'power options' settings from control panel and set the 'turn off monitor'  to one minute just to see what happens and it worked...........black screen, LED on monitor  went to amber, started back up ok.

So its only when I fully power down the system each time. Cant think what. could something be either not shutting down or still asking for input??

what about my router, wireless keyboard/mouse?   dont know relly just random guesses

I have never bothered with screen savers and power saving features before as theres always someone on the computer.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2007, 14:10 »
If it's like the Eizo, that's the monitor's internal circuitry shutting the monitor down on a timer. What it doesn't seem to be doing is taking the 'no signal' state as an instruction to shut down. It might be worth delving about in the OSD menu a bit, to see if there are any other settings. Nothing else should affect it, only the output from the graphics card.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2007, 14:34 »
thanks Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum