Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Lost Internet Conection  (Read 1540 times)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
Lost Internet Conection
« on: August 05, 2007, 19:37 »
Help Folks  ???

This morning went to log into my Vista m/c and couldnt  >:(

I have 2 machines 1 vista and 1 XP, now the BT router is working because I am logging in with it now through the XP m/c.

I have rolled back the Vista m/c to a last good used date, also when I use the diagnostic in Vista it say please plug a Ethernet cable in, swapped cables and I know its not the cable? also says windows cannot find any networks.

Looked in device manager and everything in there is ok, anybody have an inkling what could cause this.

Many Thanks

TR

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Lost Internet Conection
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 20:39 »
I doubt I'll be able to help much, Terry, but you didn't mention rebooting the router.  Have you tried that?  Also, not sure about the BT router, but on mine there's a tick box to automatically get the IP address from the ISP.  Once, it inexplicably became unticked, and when I next reconnected, I couldn't log on until it was ticked again.  Just a couple of thoughts until someone useful comes along. 

;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 20:43 »
Why don't you insert the Home Hub CD into your Vista machine and run through the setup again Terry?  I would have thought that would reset everything back to normal again. 

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 21:56 »
Tried all that Clive, looks like its the ethernet ports that are fff knackered. Will get a pci Ethernet card tomorrow and see how I get on with that, if that doesn't work.... then I dont know.

But as I said before Home hub works with this pc, so I'm fairly certain that its not the hub.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 22:44 »
Let us know how you get on Terry.   :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 00:26 »
You could try opening a dos window from the run box and typing in ipconfig /renew and see if that resets it.

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 07:25 »
Tried that Sandra and still nothing, but it did get me thinking  ;D

Just typed in Ipconfig & this is what it said

Local area connections/Tunnel Adapters 1 through to 10 "MEDIA DISCONNECTED" now as its a built in ethernet how can it be disconnected?  ???

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 10:55 »
Does your pc have the green led that lights up when a cable is plugged in to the ethernet port ?

If it has and doesnt light up then it could be the contacts inside the port that arent connecting with the lead.

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 16:51 »
No...no green lights. it's a complete mystery  ??? now about to fit a PCI ethernet card.

Fitted PCI card and it connected 1st time..better leave well alone now me thinks  ::)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 17:02 by TR »

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 21:54 »
Oh well done Terry!   8-)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 00:26 »
I think that the contacts were bent a little in the port so they werent springing up hard enough to make a good contact.
They are very small and I should think they could easily be flattened when connecting or disconnecting the lead or even move out of their shallow channels that locate them so one may have moved over slightly.
If the device manager detected it as being ok but the light didnt come one with the lead connected thats about all it could be.

Not to worry as a PCI card is cheap and easy to fit as you have done  :)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 07:05 »
Sandra, The funny thing about this is that the PC hasnt moved and just stopped working, it has been working (never switched off) since I got back off of Holiday on July 3rd  :blush:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum