Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Hard Drive Upgrade  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Kaz

• Im getting There Slowly But Surely
Hard Drive Upgrade
« on: August 21, 2007, 12:43 »
Im thinking of upgrading my Hard Drive from 80gig up to the maximum it can take my self (this will be a first)

I have an Acer Veriton 3700GX with 1GB memory any ideas or help as to where I start please and how do I find out how much it will take  ???

Thanks

When you stop having dreams and ideals -- well, you might as well stop altogether.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: Hard Drive Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 00:34 »
I dont know your particular pc but if its got 1 gig of ram then presumably its new enough to be able to take any capacity of hard drive.
We just need to find out if its IDE or SATA drives that it takes, some take both.

Offline Kaz

• Im getting There Slowly But Surely
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 09:00 »
Thanks for that Sandra, how do I find out which one I have?

When you stop having dreams and ideals -- well, you might as well stop altogether.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 11:28 »
I meant to look for some info for you after I posted but didnt get time sorry.
I will try and find out later if no one else has.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 11:50 »
Ok it uses a SATA drive.
So you can use either SATA 1 or SATA 11 but it will only run the SATA 11 at SATA 1 speeds ie 150mbps instead of the 300mbps.

From what I can see it will only take one internal hard drive so if you want to increase the storage capacity you will have to replace the original hard drive or use an external USB hard drive if you want to keep the original drive.

I came across this review :

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/83639/acer-veriton-3700gx.html

Which says :

It's worth noting that the Acer isn't the easiest to work on either. Three thumbscrews have to be unscrewed before the case comes off. All three drive bays are part of one assembly, which pivots and lifts out in one. Cabling is a mess, though, with plugs and wires behind the optical drive restricting access to the memory slots.

The hard disk is difficult to remove, and we also discovered that the edges of the steel cage are razor-sharp.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum