Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Top 8 reasons why MySpace sucks  (Read 1587 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Top 8 reasons why MySpace sucks
« on: August 29, 2007, 17:20 »
Personally I dont use Myspace.. but I do use facebook which is similar but not annoying, imo!

MySpace is one of the mightiest web entities to emerge out of the Web 2.0 era. It has over 110 million user accounts. It's one of the busiest websites in the world. And it's also, in my opinion, the most detestable abomination ever to stain the internet.

Here are eight key reasons why MySpace is the worst website in the world:

1. It looks hideous. You'd have thought that such a high-profile, popular website would be able to employ some web designers with at least a bit of skill. But no, the page design is awful and that's just the start of it.

The main problem is that unfortunately, masses of under-educated teenagers have discovered that MySpace allows you to alter the HTML design of your profile pages. Now, most of them seem just about industrious enough to copy and paste pre-prepared HTML code from third-party sites. But very few are clever enough to realise that most of the pages they've created look like a herd of cows has been sick all over them. Not only do they look awful, they stink too.
Advertisement

2. Music. So, Google has sent you onto someone's MySpace page. Annoyingly, it's got a disgusting, pink, spotty pattern non-uniformly tiled in the background. It looks like puke, but you endeavour to give the page a chance anyway. But then, disaster! A repulsive rock song starts blaring out at you from your speakers and you realise that the owner of the page has chosen to inflict all its visitors with an embedded MySpace Music track. At what stage do these people realise that this is not an attraction, it's a real turn off?

3. Bands. While we're on the subject of music, the bands on there are also incredibly annoying. Unless you disable 'band adds' in your account settings, you'll get hundreds of entirely awful wannabe rock bands trying to add you as a friend on their page. They do this obviously to make themselves look more popular than they actually are. Back a couple of years ago when I still used my MySpace account, I selected to block these band adds. It didn't work though, I still got loads of them adding me on a regular basis. MySpace, it seems, is not only annoying, it's also broken.

4. Spam. There are tens of thousands of spammer accounts on MySpace. And the only reason they are there is to scam and trick users into clicking on nefarious hyperlinks. You get messages that pretend to be from your friend but are actually trying to trick you into giving over sensitive information such as your password or internet banking settings. It's just so annoying.

5. Philosophy. The success of Facebook relies heavily on its philosophy that you should only add someone if you are actually close enough to them in real life for them to consider you a friend. So on Facebook, you don't get added by random people who you once brushed past at a party in Islington ten years ago. With MySpace on the other hand - you get absolutely anyone and everyone adding you. Bands, friends of friends who you've never met... It's boring.

This is spurred on by the existence of thousands of fake celerity accounts which people seem only too willing to add to their friends lists. Why they do this I'll never know.

6. Corporate ownership. We accept that most website only exist as a money making exercise. On some level, it always comes back to making money. But MySpace is owned by Ruper Murdoch's N ews Corp. You know, the same people who run the abomination that is Fox News. And the same people who dictate the political pendulum in our own country via The Sun and The Times. How can you trust a site like MySpace when not only is it out to make lots of money, but also has a political agenda too?

7. Quality. When it comes down to it, the main reason why MySpace sucks is that there are many other sites which do the same things, but much better. If you want to discover new music, don't go to MySpace, go to Last.fm. If you want to interact with friends online, join Facebook. If you want to get in touch with long-lost school friends, try Friends Reunited.

And finally...

8. You can be too popular. As Microsoft has found with its Windows operating system, when you dominate the market with a successful piece of software, you also attract those who would strive to slay the monster and make its users miserable. MySpace is the biggest social networking site on the web. And thus, it is destined to be the target of many more attacks by scammers and hackers. Is this a very good reason to just avoid MySpace altogether? You bet.

http://www.tech.co.uk/rungsberry/general/blogs/2007/08/28/top-8-reasons-why-myspace-sucks

- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: Top 8 reasons why MySpace sucks
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 18:31 »
Am I the only person on the planet never to have visited MySpace?   :laugh:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 19:27 »
nope... but the rest of them are running from bono's clapping.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 19:35 »
Am I the only person on the planet never to have visited MySpace?   :laugh:

No, me neither.  Full of bloody young people!   :ack:  :devil:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 19:38 »
MySpace?  Never visited it. Never seen the point of it.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 19:56 »
ok, ill go back into the young person cave... lol, myspace can be good for bands if you have not heard their music before - i would not use it for anything else.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 00:50 »
:LOL:

Sam.......... you'll have to add me on facebook..........

Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 06:53 »
yep!
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 14:54 »
Had a look at it, not my thing.
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 16:08 »
I started a gamersmafia myspace account when myspace first started, but thats about as far as ive gone. I couldn't stand the tripod type advertising all over every page. Why not host your junk on your own server. 

www.cyberium.org ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum