Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Vista to XP networking problem:IRP StackSize....or permissions?  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Debs.

• Clever Collies
Hello everyone!  ;)
I have a recently begun 'sharing' problem with my Vista-laptop (WLAN) to XP-desktop (LAN) network which  I have set up via a Safecom GWART2....modem/router.

I set up the house-net. several months ago and it`s worked fine ever since; I was able to share everything on the XP machine (incl. the 3 USB ext.HDD`s ) easily which is how I mostly use the network; with the notebook as a remote terminal....that is, until about a week ago.

Since then, I can only see everything in the XP 'shared folders' on the XP internal SATA HDD, but when trying to view files/folders on the XP desktop`s 3 external hard drives from the Vista N.B, I get a message saying:

"... is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission.

Not enough server storage is available to process this command"

Initially, I thought it must be a 'permissions' issue (assuming a recent XP or Vista update had caused it)....but days of checking sharing rights, Vista user permissions (inc. upgrading my user 'tokens') brought no improvement to the situation.....so,

I Googled about a bit and found specific mention of this instance being related to IRP Stack size in the XP machine`s registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters

......with the cause being perhaps related to antivirus software: specifically Norton (which BTW I don`t use).....so, after checking thoroughly a number of sources I decided to enter regedit and have a look-see; no entry for IRP StackSize was found, so as suggested in the Microsoft KB I made/annotated the entry and set the decimal size as "15" (the KB suggested default size)....but no fix!  :dunno:

I don`t think for a moment that this is a router issue or a firewall problem; as I`ve tried accessing the denied files with both (XP & Vista) firewalls turned off; without success......
Yes, of course I could copy everything on the ext HDDS` to the XP machine`s shared folder on the SATA internal drive: but what a pain in one`s butt considering everything worked just-fine previously!

To clarify:
The Vista N.B correctly sees all of the XP machine`s 'shared folders' (on both the ext. and internal drives).....so the computers can clearly "see" each other on the network.....
.....but will only display/allow-access to the list of 'shared folder-contents' (i.e: the individual files) on the XP machine`s internal HDD.

The Vista N.B displays the permission-deny/server-storage error message only if I click on any shared files on the XP machine`s 3 external HDD`s.

I have the same sharing and access provisions/permissions set for all folders.

I`ve also tried increasing the IRPStackSize to 18 and then 20 without any change in the situ.: should I increase the IRP StackSize further?.....or perhaps is this one of those intractable Vista 'issues' slated to be fixed with SP-1?  ::)
Any 'blue sky thoughts' would be most appreciated?......I`m getting frustrated with it now!  :crazy:
Kindest regards,
Debs.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Vista to XP networking problem:IRP StackSize....or permissions?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 11:33 »
Hi Debs

Do you have a Norton security, eg AV, program on the machine? It's often the cause of this error. Try increasing the value to 50 decimal/32 hex and see if that overcomes it. I believe that's the largest acceptable value, and it's the one I found worked for me. (I don't have Norton AV  :brickwall:, but I do use an old Norton utility...)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 11:36 »
Its strange that it was ok and then just stopped working Debs, I must admit I have been very lazy re networking XP and Vista and I havent even set mine up yet despite running Vista on one pc since last november  :blush:
I dont think I will have much time to look into this for a bit as I am a little busy this week and then I am away for a few days later this week until next monday but things should quieten down after that and I will try and sort mine out and see if theres anything unusual about it.
Hopefully you will have yours sorted before then though  :)

Offline Debs.

• Clever Collies
Yay! ;D it`s sorted, what a relief!
I entered regedit and raised the IRP StackSize to 50 (dec.) rebooted and all the denied files became accessible again.
I wouldn`t have gone anywhere near as high as 50, without encouragement (Rik Bean) especially as the Microsoft default median was only 15!  ;)
I wonder why this became an issue after so many months of happy networking without any previously specified IRPStackSize entry?.....ah well, the joys of my happy-little home network beckon once more.
Many thanks to Rik Bean and Sandra (our sweetie!)  :thumbs:

P.S Sandra, the 3 doggies here send a big slobbery-lick and (of course) much love from us all!  :P

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 00:21 »
Hi Debs

AFAIK, 50 is the max for XP. I found that trying intermediate higher values didn't work so went for the top figure and it worked. In my case, the issue was triggered by installing a Symantec/Norton product, they seem renowned for doing this. :(
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 01:50 »
Its not something I would have thought of so its a good job Riks here  :)

Big hugs back to the doggies Debs, I will be leaving Charlie with my friends hubby from friday afternoon till sunday evening so he wont be very happy with me  :(

I bet he will be very pleased to see me on the sunday evening though and will forgive me :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 12:43 »
Its not something I would have thought of so its a good job Riks here  :)

It certainly is, seeing as you're deserting us for the weekend to see old fag ash Lil!  ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum