Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: boot problem  (Read 2455 times)

Offline fridge914

boot problem
« on: August 18, 2007, 13:26 »
Hi,
i hope someone can help?!  My computer has dumped (again)    STOP 0x0000008E etc etc  So when i try to boot again i have tried to go into safe mode (as I am about to format the damn thing anyway) my keyboard does not work (tried 2 others) so it automatically boots straight into windows and halfway through the boot up it dumps again.  I have a 98 boot disk (which i use al the time) but when it is loaded I cannot move to any of the options or type anything as the keyboard isnt recognised.   Any help would be appreciated as I have been on the thing for hours now (this is my laptop i am using to try and get help).

Regards

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: boot problem
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 14:22 »
Try a basic PS2 keyboard, as I explained in your other post.

Offline fridge914

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 15:19 »
I tried that aswell. When i put it in the keyboard (purple) port I got nothing at all.  When i put it in the Mouse port, the lights came on and off but i still could not do anything with the keyboard.

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 15:40 »
I tried that aswell. When i put it in the keyboard (purple) port I got nothing at all.  When i put it in the Mouse port, the lights came on and off but i still could not do anything with the keyboard.

is that possible? thought they were different connections to prevent getting them in the wrong port?

Offline fridge914

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 16:26 »
is that possible? thought they were different connections to prevent getting them in the wrong port?

Yeah it fits in both

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 00:44 »
Sounds like the PS2 port is faulty.
Unfortunately unless you can get into the bios to see if it has an option for using a USB keyboard you wont be able to do anything as far as I can see  :dunno:

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 19:27 »
Sounds like the PS2 port is faulty.
Unfortunately unless you can get into the bios to see if it has an option for using a USB keyboard you wont be able to do anything as far as I can see  :dunno:

This happens when you pull a connection out sideways. It tends to break the solder joints which connect the port to the mainboard. Sometimes you can get lucky and move the ps2 plug into just the right position as to make contact with the broken solder joints. If your patient and lucky you might be able to get into the bios and switch it to usb... if the option is there.

Sorry hoss, but if sandras right your probably out a mainboard.

Offline jww41005

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 16:05 »
This problem sounds very familiar. And I think Bobscrachy has hit the nail on the head.

Sitting on my table are 2 PCs. One is for my kids, and the other is all mine. The problem is that we share the same monitor, so from continually swapping the monitor over, I - or my kids - damaged the connection on my mainboard, which resulted in the same boot problem.

Fortunately it was still under warranty ;D
John
If it works, don't fix it

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 19:40 »
There is a piece of hardware you can buy called a KVM (keyboard video mouse). The new ones will switch between computers at the tap of a keyboard button.

http://search.ebay.com/kvm_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40

Offline jww41005

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 08:25 »
Re: my previous post

Does a short extension exist that I can plug into the mainboard, so that I'm not continually unplugging the monitor from the PCs, but from the extension.

John

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 10:54 »
You mean something like this, John?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline jww41005

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 17:21 »
That's it!

Also, have a look at the gender change just below to the left. That would also do the job.

Cheers Simon

« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 17:27 by jww41005 »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 18:56 »
Also, have a look at the gender change just below to the left. That would also do the job.

What, on it's own?  That would still cause quite a bit of movement to the base connection.  I think a lead is the right idea.  They do all sorts of gender configurations, if the one I linked to isn't what you need.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline jww41005

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 10:10 »
Yeah. Your right. I'll see if I can get a couple around here that aren't 2 yards long.

Cheers!

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum