Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: LG Flatron L1915S Monitor Query  (Read 6756 times)

Offline Argee

LG Flatron L1915S Monitor Query
« on: October 12, 2007, 15:51 »
I've had no problems with this monitor for a couple of years, but now something strange happens. Instead of the usual routine of "POST, XP splashscreen, logon screen, desktop" I'm now getting POST, XP splashscreen, "Flatron Freedom of Mind" logo, more XP splash screen, then logon, more Flatron logo, then desktop. Sometimes the Flatron logo interrupts the desktop a number of times before it settles down, but it doesn't seem related to any other process.

So far, I've tried re-installing the monitor with latest drivers, installing it as a "Plug and Play" monitor only (but that reverts to an LG1915S almost immediately, even with the source files, registry entries and colour profile deleted) and finally upgrading the graphics card to a 128Mb PCI-Express. It's connected to the VGA output of the new card, as the monitor doesn't have a digital input.

This behaviour is intermittent, but I suspect it may be a forewarning of trouble, but with what? The monitor used to run off the on-board port, but the BIOS correctly shows it as running from the PCI-E card now. Any ideas welcome. TIA! :)

Ray.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: LG Flatron L1915S Monitor Query
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 17:06 »
Can you force the input selection to VGA - I just wonder whether it's on auto-detect and is cycling through the inputs as Windows changes video modes?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Argee

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 17:24 »
I'm not sure where I'd find the option to force VGA? The BIOS setting is pretty limited, won't allow any setting of memory, etc., just the prioroty of display, which is currently set to PCI-E/PCI

I had this problem using the on-board VGA, before I installed the PCI-E (Geoforce).

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim. :(

Ray.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 17:31 »
Hi Ray

Does the monitor have an on-screen display. If it does, usually in the choices there will be an input selector, probably choosing between DVI-D, D-Sub and Auto. I have a feeling it's on auto, and is dropping back to the monitor's logo screen as Windows changes video modes during the boot process. If you can select D-Sub (or VGA), it might stop the problem.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Argee

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 19:32 »
The on-screen menu of the monitor doesn't have  a choice of display, probably because it's VGA only. The NVidia Geoforce card has numerous menus, none of which seem to include a chioce of display either. When I was replying to your post, the monitor went very "white" and difficult to see. I tried another flat panel, no difference, so not the monitor. Returned to on-board VGA - OK. Uninstalled/re-installed card driver, back to PCI-E, so far so good. Replied to the post successfully this time. Looks like there's more to this that at first I thought. :(

Ray.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 20:19 »
Let us know how things go, Ray.  It could be just the re-installing of the Nvidia drivers that have rectified things, by resetting defaults, etc. 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Argee

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 00:12 »
I'd hoped so too, Simon, but on a later re-start the problem is still there. I'm now beginning to suspect the motherboard, as it's the only common denominator.

Ray.

Offline Argee

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 18:21 »
Update - I'm now 99.9% certain it's being caused by the mouse software!

Ray.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 18:24 »
Mice do tie in closely to the video drivers...
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Argee

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 19:54 »
I'm glad I didn't say that I was 100% certain - it still occurred.

I've found it now, though, definitely - Spybot S&D resident (TeaTimer).

Ray.

Offline Argee

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 14:06 »
Did I say definitely? Turns out it was the monitor all along!  :blush:

Ray

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 14:37 »
Now are you sure about that, Ray?  ;)

Intermittent faults can lay lots of red herrings in your path.  :cry:
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Argee

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 17:56 »
Yes, Rik - absolutely - new monitor now ordered. Thanks for all the suggestions, BTW - much appreciated.

Ray.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 18:08 »
Costco have a good deal on a 22" Viewsonic from November 5 - probably a bit late for you. :(
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum