Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: UK broadband use reaches new high  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: UK broadband use reaches new high
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 10:05 »
The Be forums have suggested that some people try removing the face plate and connecting directly into the socket behind it so as to elimiminate any extensions to see if that improves things but I only have one extension so I dont think that would affect it.

ADSL works in the AM RF band, Sandra, so is suceptible to both RF propagation and general electrical noise. Hence, noise generally increases after dark, and winter performance is generally worse than summer. The extension wiring acts as an antenna, especially if the ring wire is connected. I recommend connecting at the test socket and seeing what your figures are compared to normal. If they improve, the extension wiring is having an impact.

Some have suggested disconnecting the bell wire can improve things as well.

It is one of the simplest and most effective improvements you can make to your system. The signal, or exchange pair, are carried on one 'twisted pair' of cables. That twisting cancels out much of the noise pickup. The ring wire, however, is a single wire and, therefore, simply acts as a giant antenna, bringing noise into the circuit. If you look at the removable face plate of you master socket, you should find the extension wired to terminal 2 & 5 with a pair, eg blue/white and white/blue. The ring wire is on terminal three, often orange/white. Just gently wiggle the ring wire out, using a small pair of pliers, and curl it up out of the way. Repeat that at the other socket. Note that, if you find the wires on terminals 2 & 5 are not a pair, eg blue/white and green/white, then you should switch one of them (at both ends) to make it a pair.

A few people have mentioned getting high FEC errors but the Be people dont seem to be too worried about them for some reason ?

Well, if it were an IPStream product, I'd definitely be worried, but if Be are happy... ;)

To be honest I am quite happy with the speeds I get but you know us gals, we always like a bit more than we can usually get  ;)

There's a fair few men who are the same when it comes to ADSL.  ;D
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2007, 10:06 »
You really need to take your computer to obedience school, Clive.  ;D
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2007, 12:27 »
Thanks for that Rik, I may investigate those options this weekend if I get chance  :)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 15:41 »
You really need to take your computer to obedience school, Clive.  ;D

Yeah right!  I tried that with my wife once!   ;D

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2007, 17:38 »
Just the once, eh... Says it all really.  ;)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2007, 20:11 »
I was born a wimp and I shall remain one - if I know what's good for me!   :)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2007, 10:18 »
Wise man. ;)
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum