Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Dual-core Processor running at half speed?  (Read 2629 times)

Offline Cerubois

Dual-core Processor running at half speed?
« on: November 23, 2007, 04:14 »
I'm using an AMD Turion64x2 dual-core processor in my laptop, and I'm having issues with it whenever I try to play a game. It has a 160 Gb HD, 2 Gb RAM, and the processor is supposed to be 1.6 Ghz.

Now here's the confusing part. When there is no game running, the AMD processor clock I downloaded says that the processor is functioning at 1.6 Ghz. But when I open a game, it says that the processor is now at 800 Mhz, and believe me, the game is running at 800 Mhz (lag). I double-checked this with the system monitor, and it says that the game is only using one processor to run, even though it has access to both. In case it helps, the games I've tried playing are Republic Commando, Fable - The Lost Chapters, and Supreme Commander - Allied Assault.

The problem originated after I noticed that the system info stated that the processor was at 800 Mhz, and fixed that by resetting my power options (I'm not sure how that solved the problem, but it did). It now reads 1.6 Ghz all the time.

The strange part is that Republic Commando and Fable worked perfectly before I reset the power options, but now they're riddled with lag sessions, as if the computer has to buffer once a minute.

I've tried everything I could, such as rolling back and updating drivers, reinstalling the games, and basically searching the computer for anything that could be limiting the processor in any way, including the power source (which has an input of 100-240V, btw), but this is beyond me... I have no clue. :dunno: Any suggestions?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Dual-core Processor running at half speed?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 09:50 »
Hi Cerubois, and  :welcome:

I'm sure someone will be along to help you with this soon.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 10:10 »
It might help to know the OS and the make and model of the laptop...
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 19:25 »
Dual core doesn't mean that both cores can work together to double the speed. It means that two cores of the same speed can work on two different tasks at the same time. Some of the newer games take advantage of dual cores, being designed to assign certain chores to different cores while in game, but most do not.

Offline Cerubois

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 03:22 »
It might help to know the OS and the make and model of the laptop...

Sorry. I'm using XP Media Center Edition on an Acer Aspire 5110.

Dual core doesn't mean that both cores can work together to double the speed. It means that two cores of the same speed can work on two different tasks at the same time. Some of the newer games take advantage of dual cores, being designed to assign certain chores to different cores while in game, but most do not.

Yes, I read about that, but I've never had this problem previously, which means that the games must have been using both processors previously. The first time I played Republic Commando, it installed and ran fine, but now it gives me a warning that my laptop failed the minimum requirements for processor speed. It also wouldn't make sense for Supreme Commander to only use one processor, since dual-core has been out for a while, and SC is hot off the shelf. It's also a very large game, and it would make no sense for it to use 1.6 Ghz of a 3.2 Ghz dual-core, let alone 800 Mhz of a 1.6 Ghz dual-core. I don't think the games are the problem... :-\

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 09:34 »
This might help,
Dual Core Gaming Fix Guide:  http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=983781

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 11:22 »
Sorry. I'm using XP Media Center Edition on an Acer Aspire 5110.

Apologies, that wasn't meant to come across as a criticism, just an observation...
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Cerubois

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 19:09 »
Apologies, that wasn't meant to come across as a criticism, just an observation...

No worries, I took no offense.  :P

This might help,
Dual Core Gaming Fix Guide:  http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=983781

Thanks A LOT. That page really helped, and I believe the games are fixed now, after installing the XP hotfix. I wish I'd posted here sooner rather than spend hours trying to fix it myself.   :blush:

Thanks again for your help!   ;D

Offline Cerubois

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 04:42 »
Haha.... Spoke too soon. I thought it was working, but after about 15 minutes of gameplay it started lagging again. *sigh*  :(

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 02:35 »
Hey Jake,

You said you reset your power options? Just double-check to make sure that your power scheme is set to "Always On". (Control Panel > Power Options > Power Schemes)

If it is set to Portable/Laptop it will half the processor speed to "save battery power".
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum