Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: AVG Scheduled Tasks.  (Read 1066 times)

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
AVG Scheduled Tasks.
« on: January 03, 2008, 11:24 »
I have AVG 7.5 Free Edition and everyday I turn the computer on it starts scanning, which is becoming quite annoying as too many programs are trying to load, AVG updating and the computer starts freezing.

We have gone into msconfig and stopped a few things from starting up, but when we opened AVG found that the Scheduled Task cannot be changed and it can't be deleted.

Does anyone know of a way of turning off this function, or another free program that is a little more flexible.  :dunno:
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: AVG Scheduled Tasks.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 11:40 »
Stolen from elsewhere - might help, MB:

If you want to turn off the daily schedule, right-click the AVG icon in the systray and select 'Launch AVG Control Center'. Right-click Scheduler and select 'Scheduled tasks'. Highlight 'Test plan in basic mode' and click the Edit Schedule button. Remove the checkmark from 'Periodically start scheduled antivirus test' to disable.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 11:47 »
Thanks Simon,  :thumbs: one thing we didn't try was unticking it.  :blush:
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 11:52 »
Thanks Simon.  I've been trying to stop that for ages.  I think it was left click though.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 13:00 »
Although AVG does what it says on the tin - I have used it for years and have never had a virus (touch wood) I am finding it more and more annoying as each version is released.  The problem with it is that it is so bloody unconfigurable.

I have turned off scheduled tests for the reason MB gives above and I have also turned off automatic upates, but I have yet to find a way to stop the thing demanding a manual update as soon as the definition database is seven days old.  At one time this wasn't a problem as the update was quick, but since version 7 was imposed upon us the update can take five minutes to complete.  Then the sodding thing starts asking if you want the optional update which can take a further five minutes.  If it's optional (ie non-essential) what's the bloody point of it?

I think I will be looking elsewhere for anti-virus protection next time I do a format and reinstall.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum