Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Hard Drive Checker  (Read 2711 times)

Offline Kaz

• Im getting There Slowly But Surely
Hard Drive Checker
« on: January 10, 2008, 15:30 »
Now Im backup and running AGAIN  :crazy:

I want to check my Hard drive(s) are ok does anyone have any surgestions and does any of you use ''Hard Drive Inspector'' or something like that

kaz :)

When you stop having dreams and ideals -- well, you might as well stop altogether.

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Hard Drive Checker
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 15:44 »
hmm, thats a difficult one I use most of the linux built in tools - windows does have a hard drive scanner, might be worth giving that a go.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Kaz

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 16:16 »
Hi Sam, windows has a hard drive scanner (does it ) where is that then please and can I scan external hard drives aswell with it?

When you stop having dreams and ideals -- well, you might as well stop altogether.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 16:36 »
From the help & support centre:

ChkdskCreates and displays a status report for the disk. The chkdsk command also lists and corrects errors on the disk.

The chkdsk command with the parameters listed below is only available when you are using the Recovery Console. The chkdsk command with different parameters is available from the command prompt.

chkdsk [drive:] [/p] [/r]

Parameters

none

Used without parameters, chkdsk displays the status of the disk in the current drive.

drive:

Specifies the drive that you want chkdsk to check.

/p

Performs an exhaustive check even if the drive is not marked for chkdsk to run. This parameter does not make any changes to the drive.

/r

Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. Implies /p.

Note

The chkdsk command requires the file Autochk.exe. If it cannot find it in the startup directory (\%systemroot%\System32, by default), it will attempt to locate it on the Windows Installation CD. If you have a multiboot computer, be sure you are issuing this command from the drive containing Windows.

It should run on external drives.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Kaz

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 17:14 »
Hi Rik,
Thnaks for that info but, Im not sure what you are saying to me  :dunno: can you break it down for this thicko please :)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 17:25 »
im not sure if it is as vigorous but you can do it graphically - if you go to my computer, right click on the drive in question - click properties and then Tools.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Kaz

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 17:30 »
Right got it, well I think Im going to give this Hard Drive Inspector a go and Ill let you know ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 00:17 »
I think that the best way to check a hard drive is to go to the manufacturer of that drives site and download and run their drive checking tool.
As far as I know all the manuaturers have free disk checking utilities on their sites.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum